Our article about lady toons (finally) in Star Citizen last week got a bit heated. One subthread was locked, unlocked, and locked again because the topic seems to rile so many folks up. Some people really do not care whether they are playing a blob in an alpha. Other people just don’t care about female toons because they weren’t gonna play one anyway and who cares about people who were! A whole lot of MMO players clearly get irate when games leave the ladies out and/or even deprioritize their development – and look at the venom over games like Final Fantasy XIV, which last weekend revealed its new races will be gender-locked at least for now. Yikes.
I’m clapping politely for CIG but also giving it a bit of side-eye too because damn, how long has this game been in development and it’s just now getting to this?
How important is character gender selection to your MMO play? (You can choose multiple answers!)
Leaderboard: How important is character gender selection to your MMO play?
- I don't care at all. I'll play whatever is presented to me. (8%, 44 Votes)
- I don't care about character gender when a game's still in some sort of test phase. (5%, 27 Votes)
- I don't care about character gender when a game's still in alpha, but by beta it really needs to have this sorted. (13%, 70 Votes)
- Players should never be asked to step foot inside a game at all until all character genders are in play. This is just a bad idea from devs. (12%, 68 Votes)
- I won't bother with a game's testing period if all planned genders aren't ready to test. (4%, 21 Votes)
- I refuse to play MMOs without multiple genders. (23%, 124 Votes)
- I care only as long as my own preferred playing gender is represented. (4%, 23 Votes)
- And FURTHERMORE, gender-locked characters SUCK. A pox on these games. (26%, 146 Votes)
- Something else (tell us in the comments) (2%, 13 Votes)
- No opinion / view tally / elf butts (3%, 15 Votes)
Total Voters: 318