One of the summer’s major releases for MMO players officially arrives today as Final Fantasy XIV’s Shadowbringers formally launches out of headstart and into the wild.
Expect our detailed hands-on and impressions later this week in our regular Wisdom of Nym column, but do know that the general buzz for the expansion, in particular its storytelling, has been high. Our FFXIV columnist Eliot has already dished on the state of the early access and mulled over what’s gone wrong – and what’s gone super right – so you’ll have a pretty good idea what to expect if you’re diving in today.patch notes and our unofficial survival guide, plus our massive roundup of all of our coverage of the expansion for those of you stuck at work until the holiday. Happy (official) launch!
• New Jobs: Gunbreaker and Dancer –The Gunbreaker is a new tank role who wields the iconic gunblade, utilizing ammo cartridges to protect their party from harm. The Dancer, a ranged attacker, not only unleashes powerful attacks using throwing weapons, but also dances to execute abilities which provide beneficial effects to their party.
• New Player Races: Viera and Hrothgar – The rabbit-like Viera are joined by the burly and lion-like Hrothgar, both with unique, customizable features specific to their races.
• New Game+ – This brand-new system will allow for replay of previously completed quests while retaining one’s current progression and job level.
• Level Cap Increase – The level cap will be raised to 80 with the release of Shadowbringers. With this will come new actions for classes and jobs—as well as new foes against which players can hone their skills.
• Trust System – In Shadowbringers, players will have the opportunity to challenge dungeons with a party of trusted non-player characters, including members of the Scions of the Seventh Dawn. Traditional party matching systems will remain available.
• New Beast Tribes and Primals – Players will encounter the carefree but cruel pixies in Il Mheg alongside their mighty regent Titania, along with other beast tribes including the Nu Mou and the Dwarves.
• New Content and System Upgrades – Battle system changes, new equipment, crafting recipes and more.