Don’t you hate when you’re just walking along and find out you’ve got some other character stuck to you? No, probably not, for much the same reason that you probably don’t hate when you’re in line for the unicorn roast and you get a call from the Elf King about investing in Elf stocks: Because it doesn’t happen. Well, it was happening in Camelot Unchained, but that’s been all fixed now.
Other beta news? Fine, I guess.
- The closed beta for Eternal Magic has kicked off! If you’ve forgotten, this is the game that offers a popularity contest for the ladies. We don’t know how you would have forgotten because we make a reference to it every time because it amuses me, but just in case.
- Cube World has resumed alpha development and is planning a surprise Steam launch this fall.
- Character creator testing for Ship of Heroes is getting pushed back to later in 2019, but the run-up includes the team boasting that the creator is even better than the one for City of Heroes. They have not, however, boasted about being bigger than Jesus.
- Atlas is still a thing that’s happening, and it’s promising more big stuff. More time at sea! More MMO features! Better combat! An automatic ban to anyone who inserts “yarr” into a sentence! (That one might be wishful thinking.)
- Last but not least, we have the upcoming Omni, which is a multiplayer shooter rewarding quick reflexes and precise aiming. You know, as opposed to all those other multiplayer shooters which reward slow reaction time and aiming nowhere near what you want to hit.
Huh. That got snarky. Was that too snarky? I never know. Don’t let us know in the comments; instead, let us know about betas you may be playing and/or things that have jumped test phases which we haven’t noted. That’s fun.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Ashes of Creation: Alpha one phase one
Astellia: Closed beta, launch on September 27th
Bless Unleashed: Closed beta
Camelot Unchained: Closed beta one
Caravan Stories: Beta, launch on September 10th
Children of Ur: Open alpha, further development merged with Eleven
Chronicles of Elyria: Pre-alpha
Citadel: Forged with Fire: Early access, launch on October 11th
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
Dauntless: Open beta
Dark and Light: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Dual Universe: Alpha
ECO: Early access
Edengrad: Early access
Eleven: Closed alpha
Eternal Magic: Closed beta
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Kurtzpel: Closed beta
Gloria Victis: Early access on Steam
Global Adventures: Closed beta
Guardians of Ember: Open beta
Life is Feudal: Early access
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
New World: Closed alpha
Occupy White Walls: Early access
Osiris: New Dawn: Open beta
Outlaws of the Old West: Early access
Pantheon: Backer pre-alpha
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
PlanetSide Arena: Early access on September 19th
Project Genom: Closed alpha, servers offline for restructuring with SpatialOS
Project Gorgon: Early access beta
Prosperous Universe: Early access
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Ship of Heroes: Alpha
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Cycle: Alpha, weekly test cycle
The Repopulation: Early access alpha
Torchlight Frontiers: Closed alpha, no NDA
Valiance Online: Alpha