Riot announces team shooter, card game, fighting game, co-op game, and mobile League of Legends

Is this tower defense thing a fad?

If you felt a small earthquake last night, don’t worry — it was just the response of Riot Games’ community at all of the huge reveals on the occasion of League of Legends’ 10th anniversary.

The huge news for League of Legends fans is the announcement of Wild Rift, a 5v5 mobile MOBA that was “rebuilt from the ground up” for iOS, Android, and console. Then there is Legends of Runeterra, a strategy card game set in the LoL universe that will be going into beta soon.

As for League of Legends itself, Riot is handing out gifts for the next 11 days, including a legendary skin and a champion. The studio also teased the return of URF and the debut of a new character named Senna.

All of that hasn’t woken you up yet? Riot officially revealed Project L, a fighting game, and Project A, a “stylish, competitive, character-based tactical shooter” that you can check out in the video below. Guess it looks like Overwatch is about to get some serious competition.

As for MMO fans? Well, Riot didn’t exactly announce an MMO, especially after swearing it wasn’t working on one, but it did tease Project F, a co-op exploration game. It kinda sounds more like Diablo than an MMO, but we’ll just have to see how massive it turns out to be.

“It turns out you guys actually do have phones.” Wow.

Source: Riot Games via Polygon, Kotaku. Thanks Karl!

Inline Feedback
Kickstarter Donor
Loyal Patron
Jack Pipsam(@markdavaus)
2 years ago

Another card game to fail, yippie.

Sorenthaz(@soren_thaz)
2 years ago

Sounds like several of these were projects wanting to jump in on fads some years ago but were stuck in development hell.

Now I guess they’re just hoping that their large LoL audience will carry them in other genres.

Drago(@drago)
2 years ago

So (project A) it’s a rip of overwatch… No thanks.

Sorenthaz(@soren_thaz)
Reply to  Drago

Yeah it was rumored years ago that they were doing just that, lol.

Danny Smith(@dope_danny)
2 years ago

Boy thats a whole lot of 2010-15 ‘funpay minibuy’ farms half a decade late. No doubt Tencent is drooling at the idea of all the surprise mechanics they will include.

Sorenthaz(@soren_thaz)
Reply to  Danny Smith

Yeah seems like they’re really serious about trying to be the next Blizzard, lol.

They’ve already got the Chinese overlord 100% down, too.

Bruno Brito(@bruno_brito)
2 years ago

The FG was expected. They brought in the Rising Thunder people in a while ago. RT is actually one of my favourite games.

Which puts me into a debacle. I don’t like LoL, and i sure as hell don’t like Riot as a company. But a lot of my friends are going to play the LoL FG, and specifically, i have a friend which wants to direct me to become a amateur pro player at FGs, since he is one.

I guess i’ll have to pass, but i’ll leave the decision to when it launches.

Hikari Kenzaki(@hikarikenzaki)

Nope.

TherecDaMage .(@therecdamage)
IronSalamander8 .(@ironsalamander8)
Reply to  TherecDaMage .

*chuckles*

Godnaz
Godnaz(@godnaz)
Reply to  TherecDaMage .

Players leave Blizzard because of China, going to Riot a Tencent/Chinese company announcing new games…..

IronSalamander8 .(@ironsalamander8)
2 years ago

I admit, I’ve avoided LoL so the only thing I know about Riot is the garbage corporate culture you folks here have reported on before. That makes the cynic in me wonder if the women presenting 2 of the 3 videos were put there to counter that image, regardless of their normal job duties.

The shooter looks decent but BfN goes full live Friday (the new trailer is up but wasn’t sure if I should link it on this subject so didn’t). May try it in future, but I doubt it based on their reputation alone.

(Plus, as TherecDaMage points out, they’re not exactly a better choice than Blizzard for gaming).

(@feleran)
2 years ago

LoL is a game with the best business model out there. It’s totally fair: only pay for unlocking more characters (can grind for them too) or cosmetics.
Gameplay is balanced and polished but MOBAs, like BRs, aren’t for everybody.

IronSalamander8 .(@ironsalamander8)
Reply to

I was referring more to the community that I’ve heard nothing good about.

I used to play a lot of WoT and watching Quickybaby’s channel for advice and general game play stuff and he pointed out that if you thought WoT’s community was bad, LoL’s is much worse. Considering what I saw in WoT, that’s extremely bad.

I actually don’t mind the MOBA game style in and of itself.

Bruno Brito(@bruno_brito)
2 years ago

The reason why LoL is the worst community, is because it’s the biggest. You’ll be exposed to a lot more toxicity because it’s the most played game in the world.

(@feleran)
2 years ago

Also because average MMO player is over 20 years old but average LoL player is a teenager. Makes sense older players are more mature.

Rodrigo Dias Costa(@rodrigo_dias_costa)
Reply to

You would be surprised…

Loyal Patron
Patreon Donor
mike foster(@mikedotfoster)
2 years ago

Anna and Jnam are the leads for those projects :)

Oleg Chebeneev(@oleg_chebeneev)
2 years ago

Id dig MMO in LoL setting. When they released interactive world map, it looked really cool