This week in MMO crowdfunding news, we’ve got a new addition to the Make My MMO list:
, the “tiny multiplayer online” MMO from Might and Delight, a Swedish studio with Book of Travels multiple games to its credit. The studio sought $25,500 US to finish the painterly social fairytale MMO but has already raised over twice that much with a month left to campaign.
postponed its fleet carriers patch, Elite Dangerous posted its new video-style newsletter, Pantheon released its character creator, City of Titans dropped R71 on the PTS SOTA among other things, teased the Warden skill, Project Gorgon touched on its next big thing, Valiance Online announced its alpha is coming next year, and we took a peek at Seed on mobile. Albion Online
Read on for more on what’s been up with MMO crowdfunding over the last couple of weeks, plus our roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’re following!
Book of Travels
Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- If you've often promised that you would support online RPGs that broke from tropish traditions and took risks, well, it's time to put your money where your mouth is. Book…
‘Unique social roleplaying experience’ Book of Travels begins Kickstarter
- Frontier hasn't had the best year when it comes to Elite Dangerous. After a line of patches that were plagued with many issues, notable community members banded together to craft…
Elite Dangerous delays fleet carriers to 2020 in favor of multiple clean-up patches
- In order to populate the universe of Star Citizen with various rest stops and space stations, the devs are going to have to put together some procedural generators to expedite…
Inside Star Citizen shows off its procedurally generated space stations and food courts
- Hey, kids! How do you like to take your newsletters? Do you like them in neatly organized and well-written text format, or do you prefer 30+ minutes' worth of video?…
Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen details racial passives with new video newsletter
- It's no secret that many of us here aboard the Good Ship MOP love us some Bard classes or support classes in general, so when word that Shroud of the…
Shroud of the Avatar works on bards, complains about negative press coverage
- If you'd been wondering what that countdown on City of Titans' Twitter last week was, well you probably just overlooked the announcement earlier this month that the pre-alpha superhero MMO…
City of Titans’ character creator, Titan Create, is now available for backers
- OrbusVR has been hinting at its new crafting profession and house customization features for a little while now, but only recently have we gotten a better look at what's on…
OrbusVR will let players become Tinkerers on November 5 and customize their house on November 19
- With the newest update to Star Citizen, the game has hopefully fixed its little space rock vs. face problem (spoiler: space rock wins). Alpha 3.7.1 is now live, introducing a…
Star Citizen brings the interdiction-fixing alpha 3.7.1 online and shares the schedule for CitizenCon
- Citadel Studios is clearly hoping that the next update for Legends of Aria brings people to the game to stay, but there's a bit of a problem there. See, if you've…
Legends of Aria is halting taxes and auctions ahead of its next patch in November
- There are two apparent truisms about scams in the MMO marketplace. The first is that players are quick to call anything that vaguely stinks of a scam as such. The…
Vague Patch Notes: Scammers, grifters, and amateurs in the MMORPG market
- You may not be afraid of any ghosts, but that won't help you with Albion Online's new Allhallows event kicking off today with the inclusion of a new thematic dungeon. Yes,…
Albion Online kicks off its Allhallows event with a themed dungeon and an upcoming death race
- With SpatialOS titles bailing out of the genre left and right, it falls to games like Seed - now being marketed as SEED - to pick up the slack, and…
Space colony MMO SEED announces ‘Pioneers’ alpha coming in 2020
- There's nothing quite like reading the patch notes for Project Gorgon because what other game lets you not only become a giant bat but also seriously addresses the issue of balance with…
Project Gorgon adds Halloween quest, adjusts the Giant Bat skill in latest update
- If you point your brain back at 2017, you'll recall that an ambitious survival sandbox called Hellion braved the Steam early access waters. Zero Gravity Games' sci-fi thriller had caught…
Hellion launches out of early access unfinished and ends development
- If you look over our Camelot Unchained tag, you'll probably see a number of variants to the same story of City State Entertainment's work on "navmesh" and making sure the…
Camelot Unchained nears the finish line for NPC pathfinding and shows off a new texture editor
- It's Q&A time for Star Citizen's developers in the most recent Star Citizen Live livestream that took place. As one would expect, this Q&A session was all about the update…
Star Citizen Q&A livestream touches on mining, caves, quality-of-life tweaks, and more
- October's ACE Q&A for Crowfall is up and online, and to perhaps nobody's surprise, it's all about the upcoming War of the Gods milestone. Specifically, the Q&A touches on the…
Crowfall’s ACE Q&A talks War of the Gods as the game readies up Decapathon 2
- Did you miss the body morphs video Ship of Heroes pumped out over the weekend? Don't fret; it's still watchable, even if Heroic Games is already moving on to the…
Ship of Heroes’ character creator is adding so many glowing eyes you guys
- You know, I am regularly sitting in a waiting room for my turn to be called back to the doctor or at the lube shop to get my car serviced…
Fight or Kite: Albion Online has the potential to be the perfect mobile MMO
- While the primary purpose of alpha 3.7.1 in Star Citizen is to test random asteroid interdiction, that apparently doesn't mean that CIG isn't eager to inject a little intriguing mystery…
Garbled pirate transmissions are playing in Star Citizen’s 3.7.1 PTU
- Honest-to-goodness hope or trying to put a brave face on things? We'll let you decide when you read Catnip Studios' letter following the recent sale of Shroud of the Avatar…
Shroud of the Avatar claims move from Portalarium to Catnip will bring ‘positive change’
- The upcoming test for Ship of Heroes' character creation is arriving on November 1st, and that means plenty of new superheroes running around on a spaceship. Hence the title. But…
Ship of Heroes shows off the power of morphing body shapes with its newest video
- "We never wanted to take this to the public," starts the opening of Oath developer Ready-Up Studios' statement. "However, since Ocean Spark decided to make it public, we have no…
Oath’s developers show the receipts and its own evidence in the ongoing art studio payment controversy
- Good news for players excited by a mobile client for Albion Online: The game's development team now has someone dedicated specifically to the game's mobile version, starting with an in-depth exploration…
Albion Online outlines plans for improving its mobile client UI
- There are plenty of ways for MMOs to set a scene. Visuals are certainly one of the more important, but audio plays just as big of a factor, whether its…
Chronicles of Elyria shares another pre-alpha video that focuses on environmental sound
- Last spring, we covered an incredibly ambitious new MMO called Oath. Developer Ready-Up Studios rolled out a $35,000-ask Kickstarter to build a free-to-play, action-combat sandbox MMO using Unreal Engine 4…
UK art studio accuses Kickstarted MMORPG Oath of incompetence and failure to pay for work
- So far in the Into the Super-verse column space, we have touched base with two of the three upcoming City of Heroes spiritual successors: namely, Ship of Heroes and City…
Into the Super-verse: Catching up with Valiance Online
- Only in the games industry will you consider how to animate a cow corpse thrown from a catapult as a problem and not, say, a worrying hobby that would get…
Camelot Unchained has solved the problem of animating a cow corpse being thrown by a siege weapon Pantheon
VIDEO Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful, dev halted in 2018.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; beta began Oct 2016.
(Sandbox) – Launched July 2017, hit Steam May 2018. Albion Online
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016.
(Intrepid Studios) – Successful KS. Alpha zero. Ashes of Creation
(Might and Delight) – Book of Travels Kickstarter ends November 24.
(Cylinder) – Broke Protocol Unsuccessful KS. In free early access. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
( Caribbean Conquest Invenio) – First KS canceled, second ended unsuccessfully.
(Orode) – Codename Reality Kickstarter unsuccessful.
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
(Homecoming) – Monthly City of Heroes Homecoming donation rounds.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; Issue 0 delayed into 2019.
(Beawesome) – Kickstarter successful. Day of Dragons
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
(2Dogs) – Destiny’s Sword Kickstarter successful June 2019.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter. Probably dead.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, donor platform. Backer alpha.
( Eco Strange Loop Games) – Funded, now in alpha.
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded. Abandoned, then not?
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and fully launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
(Fire Hurts) – Endless Trials Kickstarter canceled.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
(PSB) – EverFeud Kickstarter canceled.
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
(Dynamight) – Fractured Kickstarter successful. Alpha 2.
( Global Adventures SubaGames) – Kickstarter funded.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, now allegedly in refund process.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
(Runewaker) – Funded and launched. Guardians of Ember
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo. Canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Funded and launched.
( Legends of Aria Citadel Studios) – Kickstarted as Shards Online. Early access.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended. Currently in beta.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Maestros of the Anthymn String Theory) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Maguss) – Indiegogo successful; open beta. Maguss
(Infinity Online Studios) – Mekria Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Ready-Up) – Oath Kickstarter funded.
(Ad Alternum) – OrbusVR KS funded March 2017. In early access.
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations. Pre-alpha.
(Brain Stone GmbH): First Kickstarter canceled, second funded. Pantropy
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Alderon) – Path of Titans Indiegogo.
(Craneballs) – Planet Nomads Kickstarted, early access launched sans multiplayer.
(Bebop Games) – Kickstarter funded May 2019. Playcraft
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries + Indiegogo. Early access.
(POW) – Project Oasis World Kickstarter unsuccessful.
( Pumpkin Online Monique) – Downgrading from MMORPG.
(Killerwhale) – RAW Kickstarter canceled by Kickstarter.
(Ben Olding) – Starfighter Infinity Kickstarter funded. Early access.
(Crema) – Temtem Kickstarter fully funded; now in alpha.
(Fairytale Distillery) – fka Das Tal; The Exiled KS unsuccessful. Early access.
– The Flower of Knighthood Kickstarter canceled.
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
(Idea Fabrik) – Kickstarted twice by A&B. Back in alpha. The Repopulation
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; in early access but not active dev.
(Tarhead Studio) – Kickstarter successful. RUiN
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
(Stormhaven) – Saga of Lucimia Indiegogo. Intermittent pre-alphas.
(Klang Games) – Kickstarter launching in 2020. Seed
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon, Kickstarter funded.
(Heroic) – Ship of Heroes Kickstarter canceled, beta expected before 2020.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Soft launch July 2016. Launch March 2018.
(Defun) – Spycursion Kickstarter unsuccessful.
(Cloud Imperium) – Beta delayed until at least 2020. Squadron 42
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages. Backer alpha.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – Totally abandoned without a word. Now considered a scam.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017.
(Campfire Games) – Successful Kickstarter; in early access. War of Rights
(Ramen) – Kickstarter successfully funded. Zenith Seed
Yes, some crowdfunded MMOs most definitely do succeed. But others crash and burn, and you need to hear about the whole spectrum of games that sought your money early in exchange for the promise of input and transparency. And that’s exactly what
Make My MMO
does every Saturday. Help us keep ’em accountable, would ya?