Remember this past summer when we covered the emergence of Abstract Era’s new sandbox MMO
? At the time, we expressed a Seconds from Silence bit of skepticism as the company kinda sorta seemed to be harvesting MMO gamers’ email addresses with the promise of free premium time in some distant future. A month later, it pushed into alpha, and in early November it began charging $10 for access to that alpha, which we hope nobody reading this paid. And now? Well, silence. As MOP reader Ryan pointed out to us, the game appears to have vanished, as the company’s website, forums, and email have been down for the last few weeks. Multiple gamers have been pinging the studio’s Twitter and Facebook accounts over the last month with no answer too. At this point we’re hoping it’s a misunderstanding of some sort, as the developers, one of whom was apparently involved over at NexusMods, claimed to have a team of 30 people, and you’d think of them would pipe up.
Odynak Campaign began, Crowfall’s teased the overhaul of Sun Vale, Project Gorgon kicked off the Festival of Strangers, OrbusVR launched the next leg of its alpha, Fractured set its beta for summer 2020, Dual Universe set off fireworks with its new $1700 space mall, Star Citizen plans to release to PC early access next month, Temtem began its Kickstarter, and the friends and family of Past Fate are sponsoring a scholarship in his honor. Pantheon’s Brad McQuaid
Read on for more on what’s been up with MMO crowdfunding over the last couple of weeks, plus our roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’re following!
VIDEO Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- Remember during our Star Citizen interview when we went wink-wink about a commerce-based announcement? That announcement has been fully realized with the Kraken Privateer. While the Kraken light carrier is…
Star Citizen’s $1700 Kraken Privateer mobile space mall drives fundraising past $250M
- Welcome back to another roundup of MMOs and MMO-adjacent games you've (probably) never heard of - or have totally forgotten about until now! First up: Past Fate, which we learned…
MMOs you’ve never heard of: Past Fate, Rulers of the Sea, Legend of Mir Eternal, Dragon Raja, Fantasy Earth Genesis
- Have you ever found yourself the khaleesi of an exotic nation and, somehow, misplaced your dragons? You could throw beautiful temper tantrums about it -- or you could get smart…
Creature survival sandbox Day of Dragons flaps its way into early access
- CitizenCon had a number of reveals for Star Citizen players, but not many of them were quite as dramatic as the trip into a jump gate, through a wormhole, and…
Star Citizen takes a closer look at wormhole creation and the planet microTech
- The massively multiplayer critter collector Temtem is taking its next big step forward with the reveal of an early access launch, as Crema Games is making the game more widely…
Temtem announces an early access launch on PC January 21
- So, yes, summer 2020 seems like a long way away, but we're also literally weeks away from the new year, so the new stuff coming to Dual Universe will be…
Dual Universe’s roadmap dates beta for summer 2020, release in 2021, and outlines post-release content
- Getting started in a sandbox like The Repopulation always seems to be the hardest landing to stick. I should know; I've played more than a few sandboxes where the onboarding…
The Repopulation’s new tutorial area is expected to arrive with December’s patch
- Given that Visionary Realms has already made clear its commitment to continuing development of Pantheon in the wake of studio head Brad McQuaid's untimely death, you probably shouldn't be too…
Pantheon’s Visionary Realms and Brad McQuaid’s family are sponsoring a design scholarship in his memory
- As we close out 2019, we all tend to get the urge to look back at past accomplishments and feel proud, even if they are small. Crowfall has certainly made…
Crowfall’s J. Todd Coleman looks back at past progress and ahead to 2020 milestones
- MMORPG fans have been in mourning for the last few weeks following the death of Brad McQuaid, one of the most popular veteran developers in our genre thanks to his…
Fans are invited to a real-world memorial for Brad McQuaid later this month
- If Fractured had a theme song right now (which it probably does but ignore that right now), it's got to be Simple Minds' Don't You Forget About Me. It might…
Frolic in Fractured’s alpha public stress test this weekend
- No matter what sorts of progress the alpha builds of Star Citizen make, there's always going to be a question of when the game will actually be considered fully complete,…
BBC tech program Click promises investigation into Star Citizen’s delays
- You have listened to us fawn over the unique spirit -- and mechanics! -- of Project Gorgon here on MOP, but chances are if you've ever tried out this fantasy…
Learn how to play Project Gorgon with this community video series
- Ashes of Creation seems to really be in love with this particular mount they've made. It's a bear mount. A bear mount with two immense beer kegs attached to its…
Ashes of Creation revels in the majesty, the lore, and the creation of the Beer Bear mount
- When is a resource bar more than a resource bar? When it gives you a sneak peek at what a class is capable of. The most recent devstream from Pantheon:…
Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen offers a look at class resource bars
- Just because Camelot Unchained is switching from a weekly to a monthly developer update doesn't mean that it is skimping on the news. From Skald testing to ragdoll tech to…
Camelot Unchained’s knockback will send your heart (and torso) soaring
- There has to be a measure of masochistic joy in stocking up account items that you can't use (yet) for a game that is not out (yet). But if this…
Chronicles of Elyria starts selling $75 Longest Night advent calendars
- Elite Dangerous is in the middle of a major bug fixing phase, so big it delayed the originally planned December content update. "Our first and foremost priority is to ensure…
The first PC beta for Elite Dangerous’ January update has begun
- Yes, castle siege mode in Ashes of Creation is still coming. The first half of the latest livestream from the Intrepid Studios devs was almost exclusively about siege mode, laying…
Ashes of Creation highlights work on castle sieges in its latest devstream
- The death of developer Brad McQuaid is still being acutely felt by many in the MMO gaming community, and no more is that apparent than during a memorial livestream that…
Fans hold a solemn memorial of Brad ‘Aradune’ McQuaid during a livestream
- It's perhaps no surprise that this year's CitizenCon would cause a quick jump in Star Citizen funding, but it would seem that the presentation surrounding the Carrack exploration ship may…
Sales of the Carrack exploration ship appear to create a funding spike for Star Citizen
- It's been one small step for video game crowdfunding, but one large step for Book of Travels. The "serene" tiny online RPG ultimately raked in $261,183 by the conclusion of…
MMO Book of Travels’ Kickstarter finishes successfully with $261K, hitting all stretch goals
- The thing that keeps me intrigued about sandboxes is the fact that the community can come together to create its own events, and one such event was held in Dual…
Dual Universe shows off a community race from the Earth to the moon and back
- While the opening beats of Star Citizen's CitizenCon event may have started with some disappointment, the remainder of the event had lots of things for fans of the space sandbox…
CitizenCon 2019: Star Citizen previews alpha 3.8, details Theatres of War, teases next star system
- Have you ever looked upon a unicorn and been hit with, not a child-like sense of wonder, but the desire to turn it into food? Shroud of the Avatar's Release…
Shroud of the Avatar adds Krampus, Lua integration, and the ability to make unicorn stew
- The start of Star Citizen's CitizenCon convention appears to have arrived with a bit of a thud, if the community temperature is any indication. During the keynote presentation, players got…
CitizenCon 2019: Star Citizen keynote kicks off Carrack delay and community disappointment
- A glossy spread in Killscreen may not be what anyone was expecting out of Might and Delight, the Swedish studio whose adorable little indie MMO Book of Travels just ticked…
Book of Travels talks roleplaying, meaning, and being an ‘oasis’ in a world of frenetic Steam games
- We're zooming on toward CitizenCon tomorrow, when Cloud Imperium will deliver its annual live showcase of the state of Star Citizen - and drop the requisite tantalizing nuggets that tease…
Interview: CIG’s Jake Muehle on the player economy and doing crimes in the Star Citizen universe
- When the news hit last night, it brought everything to a screeching halt in the Massively OP office: At the age of 51, veteran MMORPG designer Brad McQuaid had died.…
Remembering the life and work of legendary MMO designer Brad ‘Aradune’ McQuaid
- The tiny multiplayer online world of Book of Travels is not going to be without its dangers despite its painterly style and promise of roleplay-focused community gameplay. There will be…
Book of Travels provides a quick primer on how combat will operate Star Citizen
VIDEO Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful, dev halted in 2018.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; beta began Oct 2016.
(Sandbox) – Launched July 2017, hit Steam May 2018. Albion Online
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016.
(Intrepid Studios) – Successful KS. Alpha zero. Ashes of Creation
(Might and Delight) – Book of Travels Kickstarted successfully.
(Cylinder) – Broke Protocol Unsuccessful KS. In free early access. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
( Caribbean Conquest Invenio) – First KS canceled, second ended unsuccessfully.
(Orode) – Codename Reality Kickstarter unsuccessful.
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
(Homecoming) – Monthly City of Heroes Homecoming donation rounds.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; Issue 0 delayed into 2019.
(Beawesome) – Kickstarter successful. Day of Dragons
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
(2Dogs) – Destiny’s Sword Kickstarter successful June 2019; demo avail now.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter. Probably dead.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, donor platform. Backer alpha.
( Eco Strange Loop Games) – Funded, now in alpha.
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded. Abandoned, then not?
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and fully launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
(Fire Hurts) – Endless Trials Kickstarter canceled.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
(PSB) – EverFeud Kickstarter canceled.
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
(Dynamight) – Fractured Kickstarter successful. Alpha 2.
( Global Adventures SubaGames) – Kickstarter funded.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, now allegedly in refund process.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
(Runewaker) – Funded and launched. Guardians of Ember
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo. Canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Funded and launched.
( Legends of Aria Citadel Studios) – Kickstarted as Shards Online. Early access.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended. Currently in beta.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Maestros of the Anthymn String Theory) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Maguss) – Indiegogo successful; open beta. Maguss
(Infinity Online Studios) – Mekria Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Ready-Up) – Oath Kickstarter funded.
(Ad Alternum) – OrbusVR KS funded March 2017. In early access.
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations. Pre-alpha.
(Brain Stone GmbH): First Kickstarter canceled, second funded. Pantropy
(Icy North): Past Fate Kickstarter running until Dec 31.
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Alderon) – Path of Titans Indiegogo.
(Craneballs) – Planet Nomads Kickstarted, early access launched sans multiplayer.
(Bebop Games) – Kickstarter funded May 2019. Playcraft
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries + Indiegogo. Early access.
(POW) – Project Oasis World Kickstarter unsuccessful.
( Pumpkin Online Monique) – Downgrading from MMORPG.
(Killerwhale) – RAW Kickstarter canceled by Kickstarter.
(Ben Olding) – Starfighter Infinity Kickstarter funded. Early access.
(Crema) – Temtem Kickstarter fully funded; now in alpha.
(Fairytale Distillery) – fka Das Tal; The Exiled KS unsuccessful. Early access.
– The Flower of Knighthood Kickstarter canceled.
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
(Idea Fabrik) – Kickstarted twice by A&B. Back in alpha. The Repopulation
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; in early access but not active dev.
(Tarhead Studio) – Kickstarter successful. RUiN
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
(Stormhaven) – Saga of Lucimia Indiegogo. Intermittent pre-alphas.
(Klang Games) – Kickstarter launching in 2020. Seed
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon, Kickstarter funded.
(Heroic) – Ship of Heroes Kickstarter canceled, beta expected before 2020.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Soft launch July 2016. Launch March 2018.
(Defun) – Spycursion Kickstarter unsuccessful.
(Cloud Imperium) – Beta delayed until at least 2020. Squadron 42
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages. Backer alpha.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – Totally abandoned without a word. Now considered a scam.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017.
(Campfire Games) – Successful Kickstarter; in early access. War of Rights
(Ramen) – Kickstarter successfully funded. Zenith Fractured
Yes, some crowdfunded MMOs most definitely do succeed. But others crash and burn, and you need to hear about the whole spectrum of games that sought your money early in exchange for the promise of input and transparency. And that’s exactly what
Make My MMO
does every Saturday. Help us keep ’em accountable, would ya?