MOP reader Pepperzine recently dropped us an email about Blizzard that we’ve put off until today very intentionally. Why? Because tomorrow, Activision-Blizzard releases its Q4 2019 financial results. Obviously, Blizzard’s January disasters won’t show up in the report, which covers the period ending December 31st, though we expect analysts to ask about that. But we also have no idea whether any of the company’s autumn trainwrecks will be reflected in the report. My guess is probably not, given the way the reports (and dopey analyst questions) are structured to obscure such things and the slump Blizzard’s games were already suffering. Plus, the world has already moved on to Blizzard’s more recent bungles. But who knows?
Anyhow, Pepperzine wanted us to follow up on our piece about the boycotts from October 17th, a few weeks before the now-infamous J. Allen Brack nonpology. At the time, 38% of our readers said they were boycotting Blizzard, 23% were not, and 30% had already sworn off Blizzard games anyway.
“I think it would be interesting to get a poll of where people currently stand when it comes to the boycott of their products that originated from the backlash of their handling of the Hong Kong Debacle,” Pepperzine wrote. We agree. So let’s do it.
Leaderboard: Are you still boycotting Blizzard?
- I was never boycotting Blizzard (19%, 93 Votes)
- I was boycotting Blizzard but no longer am (1%, 7 Votes)
- I am boycotting certain Blizzard products but not all (2%, 9 Votes)
- I am playing Blizzard games but specifically withholding more money (not buying subs or packs) (9%, 43 Votes)
- I am still boycotting Blizzard because of the Blitzchung incident (31%, 152 Votes)
- I am boycotting Blizzard, but for other reasons, not Blitzchung (14%, 70 Votes)
- I am not playing Blizzard games, but not because of the boycott (20%, 97 Votes)
- Something else (tell us in the comments) (1%, 7 Votes)
- No response / view tally / Mei butts (Pepperzine made me do it :P) (3%, 13 Votes)
Total Voters: 491