It’s been a big couple of weeks in MMO crowdfunding, at least if you’re watching the development of crowdfunded games:
is running a promo event, Star Citizen has a Beta Blowout through the holiday, Elite Dangerous teased internal updates, Valiance Online talked up pet breeding, Project Gorgon moved on to its next 90-day plan, Camelot Unchained plotted its next playtest, Fractured Homecoming got a new wiki (thanks, Apparition!), and we dived into City of Heroes latest alpha. Crowfall’s
Read on for more on what’s been up with MMO crowdfunding over the last few weeks, plus our roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’re following!
VIDEO Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- One of the big Kickstarter MMO hits from 2019 was Zenith, which leaped onto the scene and raised over a quarter of a million dollars. Its tiny indie studio, Ramen,…
Kickstarted cyberpunk MMO Zenith features footage of the pre-alpha, teases alpha
- I’ve been itching to get back in and play some Crowfall, and with the War of the Gods update I've got a good reason: ArtCraft announced that the final class,…
Fight or Kite: Surveying Crowfall’s new Frostweaver class and interface updates
- It appears that City State Entertainment really is keen on that 90-day plan thing. Mark Jacobs has recently penned a dev blog that takes a look back at Camelot Unchained's…
Camelot Unchained looks back at the progress of its previous 90-day plan and outlines goals for the next 90 days
- Have you ever waged war in a sewer? Massively OP's MJ now has the opportunity to do just that in AQ3D! This newest content is team PvP: player vs. parkour.…
The Stream Team: AdventureQuest 3D sewer warfare is PvP of the jumping kind
- It's another week and that means another episode of Star Citizen's video digest series. This week, we get a closer look at the Invictus Launch Week event as well as…
Star Citizen talks Invictus Launch Week, new planets, and body dragging mechanics
- Things are going to get chilly for Legends of Aria players. Point Release 10 is opening up the Frozen Tundra region, and with it comes a couple of dev blogs…
Legends of Aria’s Point Release 10 is bringing frosty environments, new items, and new systems
- The developers of Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen are pretty excited about their progress so far. More specifically, producer Benjamin Dean is, as evidenced by his letter for May in…
Pantheon shares its progress for May, promises to be close to its next round of pre-alpha testing
- There are two sides to the most recent Albion Online patch, and they're both about improving the game's environment. One side is fairly simple, because it's a whole bunch of improvements…
Albion Online’s newest patch balances for Season 9 while improving mobile play
- The classes of Crowfall might certainly sound fantastical -- Champion, Confessor, Duelist -- but at the brass tacks level, they're really just the classic tabletop RPG trio of Fighter, Mage,…
Crowfall outlines the 11 classes of its current alpha
- If you missed your previous chance to check out the world of Fractured, you've got yourself another shot. The devs are once more having an open playtest event starting on…
Fractured will have another open playtest starting on May 26
- Leave it to Project Gorgon not to stop at merely allowing players to own pets but to breed them as well. The indie MMORPG said that it's putting the finishing…
Project Gorgon’s next update, ‘a couple weeks away,’ will let you breed your pets
- Last week, Epic dropped a bunch of news and a headline-grabbing video showcasing Unreal 5. While a lot of the ensuing discussion centered on bleeding-edge titles and Epic's own Fortnite,…
Ship of Heroes is enthusiastic about Unreal Engine 5 – but practical implementation is a long way off
- Do you play a lady in Shroud of the Avatar? Does that lady own a shop? Have you ever wanted to make that shopkeeping lady look the part? Apparently you…
Shroud of the Avatar has made a female shopkeeper outfit and it is very proud of itself
- The adorably small and painterly Book of Travels has an adorably geeky and personable development team, if this week's Q&A video is any indication. In the video, two of the…
Book of Travels’ beta already boasts over 400 events
- Wandering around the realm of Ashes of Creation, you're likely going to run in to some interesting sights. Take, for example, the video adventures from Steven Sharif as Magey McMagerface…
Ashes of Creation shows off pre-alpha footage starring a curious mage and some strange ruins
- The eve of guild supremacy battle in Albion Online is once more upon us. Guild Season 9 is starting on Saturday, May 16th, and along with it are a few…
Albion Online kicks off its ninth guild season tomorrow on May 16
- Last week, Star Citizen made a lot of noise about light in its Inside Star Citizen video series. This week, it's all about shaders, which aren't exactly related to light,…
Star Citizen talks about new shaders, what’s next for prison, and the free fly event on May 22
- The month of May brings yet another ACE Q&A video from Crowfall and another cornucopia of player questions, which runs a pretty wide gauntlet as one would expect. In this…
Crowfall on Frostweaver limits, the next Dregs campaign, and what’s delaying beta
- It's been a weird and wonderful year for City of Heroes fans. In April of 2019, the expose of a secret City of Heroes private server blew up, prompting the…
Working as Intended: The big list of City of Heroes rogue servers, 2020 edition
- If you're among the Star Citizen players who appreciate some of the ambient music made for the game, then you'll likely enjoy the latest edition of Star Citizen Live, which…
Star Citizen Live highlights the creation of the music of New Babbage
- The next round of beta for fleet carriers in Elite: Dangerous is fast approaching, and with it comes a number of confirmed changes that have been outlined in a set…
Elite: Dangerous’ second fleet carriers beta begins today – here are the patch notes
- With everyone all agog over the specs for the PlayStation Five and the Xbox Series X, the team at Novaquark has looked at these specs, at Dual Universe as a PC-only…
Dual Universe is still not going to consoles… but it could, with these specs
- A poster on the Star Citizen subreddit has played an intriguing game of connect the dots that might mean some interesting things for the game's future, assuming suppositions are correct.…
CIG’s Articles of Association reveal a partnership that might mean VR for Star Citizen or console launch for Squadron 42
- How fast is too fast when it comes to MMO combat? That's the question that's currently being pondered by the Ship of Heroes devs, who took the opportunity to showcase…
Ship of Heroes demos the Twin Swords powerset and considers the pace of combat Book of Travels
VIDEO Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful, dev halted in 2018.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; beta began Oct 2016.
(Sandbox) – Launched July 2017, hit Steam May 2018. Albion Online
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016.
(Intrepid Studios) – Successful KS. Alpha zero. Ashes of Creation
(Might and Delight) – Book of Travels Kickstarted successfully. Closed beta.
(Cylinder) – Broke Protocol Unsuccessful KS. In free early access. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
( Caribbean Conquest Invenio) – First KS canceled, second ended unsuccessfully.
(Orode) – Codename Reality Kickstarter unsuccessful.
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter. Abandoned March 2020.
(Homecoming) – Monthly City of Heroes Homecoming donation rounds.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; Issue 0 delayed into 2019.
(Beawesome) – Kickstarter successful. Day of Dragons
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
(2Dogs) – Destiny’s Sword Kickstarter successful June 2019; demo avail now.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Abandoned in early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter. Probably dead.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, donor platform. Backer alpha.
( Eco Strange Loop Games) – Funded, now in alpha.
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded. Abandoned, then not, then again.
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and fully launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
(Fire Hurts) – Endless Trials Kickstarter canceled.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
(PSB) – EverFeud Kickstarter canceled.
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
(Dynamight) – Fractured Kickstarter successful. Alpha 2.
( Global Adventures SubaGames) – Kickstarter funded.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, now allegedly in refund process.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
(Runewaker) – Funded and launched. Guardians of Ember
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo. Canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Funded and launched.
( Legends of Aria Citadel Studios) – Kickstarted as Shards Online. Early access.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended. Currently in beta.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Maestros of the Anthymn String Theory) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Maguss) – Indiegogo successful; open beta. Maguss
(Infinity Online Studios) – Mekria Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Ready-Up) – Oath Kickstarter funded.
(Stikipixels) – Occupy White Walls Kickstarter unsuccessful.
(Ad Alternum) – OrbusVR KS funded March 2017. In early access.
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations. Pre-alpha.
(Brain Stone GmbH): First Kickstarter canceled, second funded. Pantropy
(Icy North): Kickstarter unsuccessful. Past Fate
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Alderon) – Path of Titans Indiegogo.
(Craneballs) – Planet Nomads Kickstarted, early access launched sans multiplayer.
(Bebop Games) – Kickstarter funded May 2019. Playcraft
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries + Indiegogo. Early access.
(POW) – Project Oasis World Kickstarter unsuccessful.
( Pumpkin Online Monique) – Downgrading from MMORPG.
(Killerwhale) – RAW Kickstarter canceled by Kickstarter.
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; in early access but not active dev.
(Tarhead Studio) – Kickstarter successful. RUiN
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
(Stormhaven) – Saga of Lucimia Indiegogo. Intermittent pre-alphas.
(Klang Games) – Kickstarter launching in 2020. Seed
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon, Kickstarter funded.
(Heroic) – Ship of Heroes Kickstarter canceled, beta expected before 2020.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Soft launch July 2016. Launch March 2018.
(Defun) – Spycursion Kickstarter unsuccessful.
(Cloud Imperium) – Beta delayed until at least 2020. Squadron 42
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages. Backer alpha.
(Ben Olding) – Starfighter Infinity Kickstarter funded. Early access.
(Kindred) – Swords ‘n Magic and Stuff Kickstarter funded.
(Crema) – Temtem Kickstarter fully funded; now in early access.
(Fairytale Distillery) – fka Das Tal; The Exiled KS unsuccessful. Early access.
– The Flower of Knighthood Kickstarter canceled.
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
(Idea Fabrik) – Kickstarted twice by A&B. Back in alpha. The Repopulation
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
(Dragonfire) – Latest Trials of Ascension Kickstarter failed.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – Totally abandoned without a word. Now considered a scam.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017.
(Campfire Games) – Successful Kickstarter; in early access. War of Rights
(Ramen) – Kickstarter successfully funded. Zenith Ashes of Creation
Yes, some crowdfunded MMOs most definitely do succeed. But others crash and burn, and you need to hear about the whole spectrum of games that sought your money early in exchange for the promise of input and transparency. And that’s exactly what
Make My MMO
does every Saturday. Help us keep ’em accountable, would ya?