Yesterday, I read on Twitter that Star Wars The Old Republic has, as of this week, been live longer than Star Wars Galaxies was. I literally had to run the math on this because it’s so baffling, but it’s true: SWG launched in June of 2003 and was closed in December of 2011. SWTOR launched in December of 2011 and here we are in June 2020.
Of course, part of the reason it feels unreal to me is that I play on the SWG emulators, where the game is not only alive but thriving on multiple servers, so it doesn’t really feel dead. But in the technical sense? It’s true. And it just drives home how short a life SWG really got compared to what it deserved.
It’s Friday and I’m feeling the need for a poll. Star Wars Galaxies vs. Star Wars The Old Republic – which one was better? Would you trade one for the other, or do you really love both? To the pollmobile!
Leaderboard: SWTOR or SWG? (Multiple choices allowed)
- Star Wars Galaxies, any era (18%, 193 Votes)
- Star Wars Galaxies, but before the NGE (26%, 275 Votes)
- Star Wars The Old Republic, any era (18%, 187 Votes)
- Star Wars The Old Republic, but before free-to-play (10%, 102 Votes)
- Bree, how could you forget Clone Wars Adventures (2%, 21 Votes)
- I played only one of them and can't really compare (15%, 156 Votes)
- I played both and love both equally! We have everything we need. (6%, 65 Votes)
- What's Star Wars? / Don't like Star Wars anyway (1%, 6 Votes)
- No response / view tally / twilek butts (5%, 52 Votes)
Total Voters: 891