You can test if you want to if you’ve gotten an invite. Yes, Fractured kicked off its most recent closed alpha after a delay, and Magic: Legends has been inviting people into its closed alpha. Alpha testing for all! All the people invited, anyhow. That’s what closed alpha means.
In other news… er… other beta news. That one isn’t much of a segue.
- The endgame for Torchlight III is there, hoping that you will once more be enticed into calling it “Torchums” with affection.
- Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis has been announced for 2021. We can only assume that this update will mean that Phil Collins replaces Peter Gabriel as the front man, leading to a greater quality of creative output from both groups. What? Look, it’s true.
- Want a rundown of mechanics in Ashes of Creation? Well, the game’s latest video has you covered there.
- It was pretty cool when Epic let anyone use the assets from its shuttered Paragon for projects. Fault is one such project making use of those assets. Interesting!
- And last but certainly not least, Valiance Online is heading into an open beta in August, to the surprise of many. That’s faster than anyone expected!
And with that… eh, I’m tired now. Let’s all put our heads down on our desks and take a nap, or take a look at the list of games in testing just below. Let us know if you see anything that should be in a different spot. You know how it goes.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Ashes of Creation: Alpha one
Book of Travels: Closed beta
Camelot Unchained: Closed beta one
Children of Ur: Open alpha, further development merged with Eleven
Crowfall: Backer alpha
Crucible: Closed beta
Cube World: Closed beta since September 23rd
Dauntless: Open beta
Dark and Light: Early access
Dual Universe: Alpha, with beta coming August 2020
ECO: Early access
Eleven: Closed alpha
Elyon: Korean beta (fka Ascent Infinite Realm)
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Kurtzpel: Closed beta
Gloria Victis: Early access on Steam
Guardians of Ember: Open beta
Hearthstone Battleground Mode: Open beta
Inferna: Early access
Life is Feudal: Early access
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Magic: Legends: Closed alpha 2; beta testing in 2020
Mortal Online 2: Closed alpha
New World: Closed testing, launch pushed to 2021
Occupy White Walls: Early access
Osiris: New Dawn: Open beta
Outlaws of the Old West: Early access
Pantheon: Backer pre-alpha
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Population Zero: Early access
Project Genom: Closed alpha, servers offline for restructuring with SpatialOS
Project Gorgon: Early access beta
Prosperous Universe: Early access
Saga of Lucimia: Closed alpha
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Ship of Heroes: Alpha
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Temtem: Early access
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Cycle: Alpha, weekly test cycle
The Repopulation: Early access alpha
Torchlight III: Early access
Valiance Online: Alpha
Wild Terra 2: Intermittent beta
WoW Shadowlands: Beta