World of Warcraft: Shadowlands adds a new Rogue Covenant ability as the beta sees another round of tuning

    
7
World of Warcraft: Shadowlands adds a new Rogue Covenant ability as the beta sees another round of tuning

The next World of Warcraft expansion is slated to go live on October 26th, but there’s still tuning and even some significant changes happening in the beta even now. The most recent build includes a number of balance changes for class abilities and Covenant abilities, with the most notable change being a whole new Rogue ability with the Venthyr covenant dubbed Flagellation. This applies a debuff to your target after you whip it, and subsequent instances of whipping it will not only earn you the approval of Devo but will eventually apply a Mastery buff.

The beta update also offers a glimpse at upgrading individual conduits to higher ranks, a system that is meant to be in place but is not fully implemented on the current beta. With just about a month left until the expansion release it’s clear that there are still a fair number of things to be rolled out along with the balance tweaks; time will tell how well both are handled.

Source: Wowhead (1, 2)

No posts to display

7
LEAVE A COMMENT

Please Login to comment
  Subscribe  
newest oldest most liked
Subscribe to:
Reader
Bruno Brito

And there’s already a spreadsheet with the best covenant for each spec.

Congratulations, Ion. Another great idea.

Reader
Kickstarter Donor
Java Jawa

That’s the nature of players. Those who want, will just power game and min-max .

Every game has these sort of folks.

Reader
Bruno Brito

Not the point.

Reader
Bannex

I mean at least it’s not the heart of azeroth…

Reader
Bruno Brito

I’m honestly thinking that i would prefer a plethora of passives than abilities that make or break your spec and locks you into those choices to the point where other specs can suffer for it.

If it was the case of the choices being like, a point beyond the specs, sure, i guess it works. Still bad design. But if you see the spreadsheet, you’ll notice that some specs have “Mediocre ” and “Bad” synergy with some of the covenant abilities.

So, let’s say for instance i play a UH DK. And let’s, for the sake of argument say that my best covenant for UH is Necrolords because of the shield. But the shield is then considered Mediocre/Bad for Blood because they already have shields and could use something else, so their best covenant is Venthyr, for instance, so on and on.

The moment you choose a covenant, your other specs may suffer for it. Considering we’re not playing Vanilla anymore, that’s bad game design.

Reader
Dug From The Earth

The other thing to consider is this.

Its ONE ability… your character has 20+ other abilities.

ONE ability, on a lengthy cooldown, is barely going to affect the majority of gameplay for most players.

In fact, Im almost certain that for some classes I wont even USE the cov ability. I didnt use the artifact ability on some of my Legion characters either. It didnt affect my gameplay one bit, or my ability to do any of the game activities I took part in, including Mythic dungeons and PvP. (no, i didnt Mythic raid)

Reader
Dug From The Earth

There is a spreadsheet for the best DPS class, and the best healer, and the best tank as well.

There will always be a “Best” of something in a game with different options for class, spec, etc.

The question is, how much more is “best” compared to the rest? For 95% of the players, the “best” being 1-2% better wont be a factor they ever actually notice. Only those pushing the classes to their extreme limits (ie: mythic raiders), will these values even become apparent or meaningful.

Just like designing a website, you write off that 6% of visitors who are still using Internet Explorer 7, because the other 94% of visitors simply arent going to be affected by the issues they have.