So here’s a fun fact for you: While vanilla, legacy, and progression servers have been all the rage for the last five years or so, even taking our “trending” award in 2018, there are a few MMOs out there that have been running such alternate servers for a very long time. One of them is Ultima Online, which launched its hardcore, slow-skilling, all-PvP, one-toon-per-account nostalgia shard Siege Perilous in 1999. So when yesterday Ultima Online studio Broadsword announced a new type of shard for the game, just know that it’s always been doing its own thing, not following the pack.
As we noted in our recap of the announcement stream, the new server is going to be called Ultima Online: New Legacy, and it’s essentially a seasonal type of server (also not new to UO), where the intent is to help new players acclimate, though of course anyone can play. Notably, Broadsword is rewriting and streamlining some of the systems that have spiraled out of control and dragged the game away from its RPG roots; for example, the studio discussed simplifying the game’s gear and skill systems in order to make the game feel more like systems from bygone eras of UO. “Immersive and intuitive” are the words the team is emphasizing.
We don’t really know when this shard will launch, though it sounds like it’s quite a ways away, but personally, I’m already intrigued. I think the game has always been bad at easing newbies into what is an extremely complex world, and I don’t think a lot of folks who give it a go stay, which is a shame because there is an exceptional MMORPG under all those layers and years of design cruft, and I would love for more people to see it, especially if the more Diablo-like mechanics are replaced with something more in line with the classic, pre-Age of Shadows MMO. Likewise, not having to compete on servers with 23 years of economy inflation will be lovely.
But I’ve also seen some excellent arguments that making this a seasonal server with a different ruleset will only discourage new players when they have to (for example) leave their house behind upon transferring to a production shard. I’m not confident veterans will give up their cozy homes and bank accounts and rares and lower-reg suits to play this either.
What do you think – are you tempted by Ultima Online’s New Legacy server?
Leaderboard: Are you tempted by Ultima Online's New Legacy server?
- I'm going to keep playing or return to UO, and I will play this server. (37%, 96 Votes)
- I'm going to keep playing or return to UO, but I won't play this server. (6%, 15 Votes)
- I'm going to keep playing or return to UO, and I might play this server. (10%, 25 Votes)
- I've never played UO, but I will definitely try this server. (5%, 14 Votes)
- I've never played UO, and this server does not tempt me to try. (6%, 16 Votes)
- I've never played UO, but I am curious and might try this server. (8%, 20 Votes)
- I currently play UO, but I'm leaving the game because of this server. (0%, 1 Votes)
- I currently play UO, but I'm leaving the game because of something unrelated. (0%, 0 Votes)
- I used to play UO, but I won't go back for this server. (13%, 33 Votes)
- I used to play UO, but I won't go back for anything. (7%, 19 Votes)
- Something else. (3%, 8 Votes)
- View tally / no response. (6%, 16 Votes)
Total Voters: 263