Over the weekend, I used up some of the currency sitting on my Lord of the Rings Online account, and I want to talk about this. While LOTRO’s cash shop is expensive and poorly organized, it has one feature that I love: a freakin’ favorites section, so I can keep track of the stuff I am interested in and skim through to see if it’s on sale. And as it happens, I needed to buff out my inventory and shared inventory because the game just sees fit to flood my inventory with task crap every 15 minutes. So I did.
And that’s something I often buy in MMOs. I also like having a range of cosmetics and mounts too, and teleport items are invaluable. I never buy lockboxes, though, and I seldom dabble in temporary or consumable items in cash-shops either. I suppose it depends on the game, but I’ve picked up advanced characters in some MMOs before too – though I won’t in LOTRO, since leveling through the landscape is why I’m playing.
What types of items do you buy in MMO cash shops? To the pollmobile! As usual, you’ve got three picks:
Leaderboard: What types of items do you buy in MMO cash shops?
- Cosmetics, like hair, weapon and outfit skins (21%, 54 Votes)
- Buffs, like experience and crafting boosters (0%, 1 Votes)
- Mounts, like skins and vehicles and ships (but not teleports) (13%, 33 Votes)
- Housing items, like buildings and furniture and crafting stations (5%, 13 Votes)
- Inventory items, like bank and bag expanders (15%, 37 Votes)
- Travel items, like teleports and binds (but not mounts) (2%, 5 Votes)
- Currency, like actual in-game cash or 'gems' etc. (4%, 9 Votes)
- Toys, like instruments and emotes and minipets (1%, 3 Votes)
- Advanced characters, like boosters to skip content (2%, 5 Votes)
- Utility items, like extra character slots and name changes (10%, 26 Votes)
- Gambling items, like lockboxes and keys (1%, 3 Votes)
- Content, like DLC and quests and new areas (16%, 41 Votes)
- Companions, like pets and NPCs that are more than cosmetic (2%, 4 Votes)
- Overtly pay-to-win gear, like actual weapons and armor (2%, 4 Votes)
- Something else - let us know in the comments! (1%, 2 Votes)
- I never, ever buy stuff from cash shops (5%, 13 Votes)
Total Voters: 125