Looking for something to spice up your weekend? In the mood to try out a different MMO experience? The somewhat hardcore Tale of Toast is ready and waiting, now that the game just went into early access on Steam.
There are two servers (US and EU) handling the test right now, although apparently both are being slammed. So, you know, patience and all that. The game is currently level capped at 30 and has seen multiple patches over the past few weeks in preparation for this day.
During early access, the game will allow players to earn premium currency (cheekily called Crumbs) by promoting the game on social media and in videos. By the time that the game leaves the bounds of early access, the team would like to patch in player housing, localization, controller support, additional races, extended world, and guild castles.
Congratulations, Legends of Aria, we’re glad to see that you’re in closed beta now. It’s been a twisting road for this particular title, but we’re hopeful that the road ahead will be filled with fun and success. What? That was serious. There was no sarcasm in there. Seriously, it’s sometimes hard to tell.
Other beta news? Sure thing, buddy. Just for you.
- The cute, cuddly, and brutally difficult Tale of Toast will be entering early access this month. If you’d like to argue that it’s neither cute nor cuddly, we understand, art is subjective like that. If you’d like to argue that it’s not difficult, say that to its face.
- How do you play Project Genom? Where do you even start? There’s a video for that as the game’s development rolls on. So that’s helpful!
- Good news, Star Citizen fans, you can now subscribe in order to get access to the PTU forever! By popular demand, apparently. Now, be prepared to argue eternally over whether or not this optional subscription fee to a game that’s still early in its test cycle is really a subscription fee at all, and get ready for people willing to argue with you for hours until language no longer makes any sense.
- Speaking of spaceships, Dual Universe is blasting through some pre-alpha testing right now, and it’s got some news for the fans. Specifically, about territory control. Very important if you like to control territory.
Ah, it’s not really a new year until we’re arguing over spacecraft, is it? But don’t you worry, we’ve got our usual list down below, and we’re always interested to hear from you if something isn’t on there that should be, is on there that shouldn’t be, or should be on there and is on there but isn’t listed in the right test phase. Let us know down in the comments!
Tale of Toast is an insidious title that sucks the unwary player in with colorful and innocent graphics… then kicks his or her butt with its tough game design. But if that’s the kind of experience you’re seeking, then prepare to have your tushie handed to you next month when the MMO goes into Steam early access.
The studio laid out its testing schedule over the next month. This weekend is a regular alpha test for anyone with an appropriate key. Then from February 2nd through the 16th, there will be a round of balance testing. Finally, the game will enter early access on February 23rd.
“This is the date you’ve been waiting for,” the team said, “the date when Tale of Toast will be playable each and every day! All databases (including character data) will be wiped so everyone starts with empty accounts. There will be servers in EU and USA. Will you be the first one to max out your character on the live servers?”
By now, you probably know and have accepted the weird juxtaposition of Tale of Toast’s incredibly cute art style and its hardcore design. But how do those flavors mix together in practice? HiveLeader, a prominent MMO YouTuber, made it a mission to find out.
Jumping into the MMO’s alpha weekend test, HiveLeader found a small but ambitious game that really impressed him. He notes that it’s an unforgiving game that leans heavily on mandatory grouping (without a LFG tool, even), but that there’s a lot of fun, polish, and character flexibility that makes it worth the hassle.
You can watch his early impressions below!
Self-labeled “hardcore” MMO Tale of Toast is kicking off bi-weekly alpha tests, and you are invited to the party. The two-person development team told Redditors that starting this weekend, it will be holding an alpha test through Steam. Interested parties can hop over to the official Discord channel to ask for a key.
Curious about what Tale of Toast looks like? The team put together a photo tour of this deceptively colorful game while pointing out some of its key features along the way.
The devs also made their elevator pitch about what makes this MMO special: “Tale of Toast is an open world MMORPG with hardcore PvP mechanics and where dying actually means something, and is inspired by old school MMORPGs and boardgames. Experience battles throughout the entire world against other players and guilds with the goal to take their items upon killing them, and risk losing your own upon your death.”
. Thanks Harley!
From Zulika Mi-Nam’s Adventures in Tale of Toast:
- Log into a game to do some play testing.
- “Hey, look at these cutsie graphics and those childlike animations!”
- Kill some level 1 and level 2 bunnies rabbits and some loot drops right on the ground from time to time.
- Find a treasure chest with a level 5 baddie guarding it.
- Make that baddie chase me around a tree and out run him back to that chest and loot it and get away: “Haha this is easy and I got a badass level 5 sword… gonna save that for later.”
- Go to town sell my trash loot and head back out.
- Take on a level 3 mushroom: “Pfft no problem.”
- Gonna go for this level 4 bat: “Woah this could go either way… depends on who lands the next hit….yah! Loot sound! Wait, he is bouncing away… I’m dead… then what was that loot?”
- Respawns and looks at inventory: “That… that was the sword I was saving, and it is just laying out there on the ground now.”
- Do the walk of shame to retrieve my sword and turn to shake my childlike fist at that bat. “I’ll be back! You… you fooled me with your cutsieness.”
Don’t judge a book by its cover, they say, and certainly don’t go making assumptions about the difficulty levels of MMORPGs by how gritty or cutsie its graphics are.
This is a good lesson for us today as we look at Tale of Toast, an upcoming indie MMO that might look like a chibi version of World of Warcraft, yet it has the beating heart of a hardcore, old-school MMO. The two-man development team (including one former Blizzard dev) is attempting to create an online game in the spirit of the original RuneScape, sprinkling in open-world PvP and loss upon death to keep the challenge level high.
One of the game’s interesting concept is its combat system: “When you initiate melee combat with a player or enemy, both players are locked for three rounds of fighting before they are able to run or stay fighting. Rounds are handled automatically by the game, and the decision you as a player have is what type of combat stance you want to fight in during the fight.”
Tale of Toast was recently greenlit on Steam and should be headed to early access by the second quarter this year.