Leaderboard: If you solo in MMORPGs, why?
Solo players in MMORPGs are a strange case, chiefly because they are treated like an outlier when they aren’t. The fact is that almost everyone solos at one time or another — yes, even in classic MMORPGs — and the vast majority of people apparently prefer to solo more than not solo, even if they also want to group. Or at least one might draw that conclusion from the last dozen years of MMOs!
I thought for today’s Leaderboard, we could drill down some of the reasons people solo. Pick as many as apply!
If you solo in MMORPGs, why?
- I find grouping stressful (10%, 404 Votes)
- I find grouping time-wastey (5%, 198 Votes)
- I don't like sharing experience or loot (1%, 41 Votes)
- I prefer immersion to gogogo (12%, 499 Votes)
- I want to figure out the game on my own (8%, 346 Votes)
- I have unusual playtimes or an off-peak timezone (6%, 267 Votes)
- I game while doing other things that might interrupt me, like caring for kids (8%, 352 Votes)
- I don't enjoy socializing online (3%, 128 Votes)
- I prefer to socialize only with my guildies or close friends, not strangers (7%, 291 Votes)
- I prefer other forms of socializing than grouping (3%, 105 Votes)
- I prefer content that is traditionally not group-centric, like crafting (4%, 155 Votes)
- I play better on my own - say, in PvP (1%, 46 Votes)
- I play MMOs where grouping is hindered - say, because of story mode or phased instancing (2%, 97 Votes)
- I don't speak the common language of my MMO (0%, 11 Votes)
- I play MMOs that don't properly support grouping - say, with poor LFG tools (1%, 36 Votes)
- I've been burned by past grouping experiences (6%, 244 Votes)
- I prefer not to solo but wind up doing it anyway (3%, 105 Votes)
- I never solo or never play MMOs where I can solo (0%, 5 Votes)
- Something else -- let us know in the comments! (1%, 27 Votes)
- I prefer the challenge and thrill of solo accomplishments. (4%, 155 Votes)
- I like to play entirely at my own pace. (13%, 556 Votes)
- I can't ever find anyone to group with! (2%, 85 Votes)
Total Voters: 980