When Google first announced Stadia this past spring, promising it would “revolutionize” the industry, our readers were skeptical. And now that we know much more about it, including the price and some of the lineup of games, our readers have been… still skeptical.
I’m still in the “this is not viable for a whole lot of people in this country right now” camp, and I am not alone. MOP reader Paragon tipped us off to an article on Ars Technica (the scathingly named Despite ‘revolutionary’ promises, Stadia’s biz model is pure establishment) that argues that Google’s charging so much for its services and controllers and a la carte games that it’s not going to save anyone much money over existing platforms, plus you’ve got to trust that Google will maintain the service – not a safe bet if you know Google. And personally, I have friends who already can’t play MMOs anymore because of the poor internet service and egregiously expensive data-capped internet where they live. I just don’t see this working outside of a handful of urban enclaves – the same kind that also don’t need it.
So even though I’m generally a fan of Google’s products – there are a dozen functioning Android devices and toys in my house, and I’m on GoogleFi – I can’t see that Stadia fills any kind of need that I have, and it doesn’t seem particularly family-friendly either. But maybe that’s because of the types of games I play. I’m curious what you folks are doing. Are you all-in for Google Stadia? Which parts are you considering using (or not?) Note: You get three votes!
Leaderboard: Are you all-in for Google Stadia?
- Already preordered. (2%, 13 Votes)
- Thinking about preordering. (4%, 21 Votes)
- Won't preorder. (16%, 84 Votes)
- Will sub. (2%, 8 Votes)
- Thinking about subbing. (5%, 24 Votes)
- Won't sub. (24%, 128 Votes)
- Will at least use the free a la carte service. (4%, 20 Votes)
- Thinking about at least using the free a la carte service. (8%, 44 Votes)
- Won't use the free a la carte service. (22%, 118 Votes)
- Something else (tell us in the comments) (3%, 17 Votes)
- No vote / view tally / elf butts streamed to your toaster (9%, 48 Votes)
Total Voters: 322