Rumors have been swirling this week about expansions to the Star Wars universe that could be a big deal for gaming. According to multiple websites claiming insider knowledge, “Project Luminous” is a new project that will overhaul the Star Wars IP to make its content more like the Marvel IP, with a multi-platform Jedi-centric narrative arc set a few hundred years before the movie timeline. And “multi-platform” means more than just movies; in fact, the first entry is apparently a video game, and that is where we start to get very interested.
Obviously, it’s not at all clear what kind of game this is going to be just yet. We don’t have any reason to think it’s an MMORPG. However, it’d be pretty surprising if it doesn’t at least feature the sort of always-on, anti-piracy, monetized-to-the-hilt multiplayer that’s been the megacorps’ favorite child the last several years.
Let’s play pretend anyway. What would you want to see out of a new Star Wars MMO?
Leaderboard: What would you want to see out of a new Star Wars MMO?
- I want traditional MMORPG gameplay (25%, 343 Votes)
- I want multiplayer, but not something big enough to be an MMO or MMORPG (3%, 37 Votes)
- I want MMO-lite gameplay more like looter shooters or ARPGs (5%, 65 Votes)
- I want something nobody has done before (8%, 105 Votes)
- I want a full-on sandbox world (24%, 319 Votes)
- I want an impressive story (22%, 297 Votes)
- I want transmedia synergy like what Defiance once had (1%, 16 Votes)
- I want something about Jedi, glowsticks all day all night (5%, 73 Votes)
- I want something about anything but Jedi (5%, 65 Votes)
- I don't want another Star Wars game at all, stoppit (2%, 24 Votes)
- Something else - tell us in the comments! (1%, 12 Votes)
Total Voters: 736