April Fools’ Day 2021 across the MMOverse

Love it or hate it, April Fools’ day is a Thing, and MMO companies seldom miss an opportunity to get in on The Thing. Let’s take a peek into what they’ve brought us for 2021, shall we?

Have you ever wanted to date your ship in Star Trek Online? No? Well you can anyway.

Star Citizen has dropped a new ship! The one ship everyone will like: The Origin 404.

World of Warcraft has posted its traditional joke patch notes, complete with a new covenant, sea shanties, and “Wand Vision.”

Guild Wars 2 dataminer @that_shaman got in on the fun announcing Inventory Manager. It actually works. Click on it people. I’m still giggling.

To be honest, this might even be better than the official GW2 fake patch notes.

But it’s hard to top the invasion of the choya.

EVE Online teased the construction of a lowsec gate to nullsec’s Stain.

Chickens have taken over Neverwinter. Bawk bawk.

Oh War Thunder, this is salty and we love it. “Future military technologies simulation app Warfare 2077 is temporarily available to the general public.” It’s also done a TailSpin prank.

PlanetSide 2 has disabled friendly fire – we assume this is just for today. Have fun!

Valorant promises Agents of Romance.

Zorran the Artificer has flooded Champions Online.

I’m sorry to report that Tencent’s got its fingers in another MMO pie: MMO Fallout’s pie.

Pantheon Rise of the Fallen announced a new hardcore mode! (This might be funnier if the game hadn’t announced NFT art sales earlier this week. That one was no joke, fam.)

World of Warships is making Godzilla and King Kong fight. I’m not actually sure this is a joke.

Piddie the Fool has arrived in AdventureQuest 3D. Look, I don’t make this stuff; I just report it.

Trove’s April Fools’ gag literally sends players back to the future.

We’re going to space in World of Warships Legends.

Black Desert is letting Shai ride flying donkeys:

But Black Desert Mobile has a different type of fun planned…

Fallout 76 has a cryptic tease.

Pirate101 added the “best spuds” couch potato mount.

TERA Console announced a battle royale, but we suspect the diapers and link give the joke away.

Overwatch has fake notes up too, but players today (actually, even last night) are being treated to the old googly eyes stunt.

Fortnite played into Gamestonk, for some reason.

Vague Patch Notes: Template - The other day, I was in the middle of a humanizing anecdote when something happened that was tangentially related to MMOs. This prompted me to start thinking about this particular…

We’ll be adding more we see as the day rolls on (usually, more drop around lunchtime). And surely you’ve spotted more – drop ’em in the comments for everyone!

Inline Feedbacks
Kickstarter Donor
Ken from Chicago
9 months ago

So, I’m not alone in recognizing STAR TREK ONLINE’s Dating Starships Online joke is also a reference to THE BREAKFAST CLUB, right? The nerd, the princess, the jock, the basket case and the criminal.

Patreon Donor
Kickstarter Donor
Loyal Patron
Stormwaltz
9 months ago

A very fine tweet from one of LoL’s narrative leads.

Hurbster
9 months ago

Some of the ESO mod makers were having fun.

Screenshot_20210401_223109.jpg
Screenshot_20210401_223047.jpg
Screenshot_20210401_223006.jpg
Patreon Donor
Kickstarter Donor
Loyal Patron
Stormwaltz
9 months ago

It came out a couple days early, but World of Warships also “announced” the addition of the British icecraft carrier.

(Yes, this was a real thing.)

EmberStar
EmberStar
9 months ago

Now I am sad that there *isn’t* an actual Tailspin game. I think I might actually play that if it existed. :(

Patreon Donor
Kickstarter Donor
Loyal Patron
Stormwaltz
9 months ago

But I actually want a TaleSpin flight game, so somebody get on that.

Schmidt.Capela
Reply to  Stormwaltz

Capcom did one, a mere… three decades ago, I think?

(It’s available on Steam, BTW, as part of The Disney Afternoon Collection. I have it on my account.)

Patreon Donor
Kickstarter Donor
Loyal Patron
Stormwaltz
Reply to  Schmidt.Capela

It’s more a platformer / scroll shooter, isn’t it?

I want a goofy flight sim with tricked out planes, like Crimson Skies. :)

Hikari Kenzaki
9 months ago

I’m amused that KFC Gaming released an actual visual novel for April 1st one year, so now other games pretend they are…

Also, I cackled at “It’s incredibly difficult to unrender, a rendered texture.”

Schmidt.Capela
9 months ago

About dating ships, the ironic thing is that this already exists for WWII battleships (Kantai Collection, originally a game that became an anime series), tanks (Panzermadels), melee weapons (Boyfriend Dungeon, an action RPG where you go on dates with your weapons to level them up), etc, so a game about dating Star Trek ships wouldn’t be that strange.

And, just for fun, Konami’s rendition of the Lord British spaceship in the game Otomedius:

otomedius_arcade_english_translation.jpg
Bruno Brito
Reply to  Schmidt.Capela

What i know about KC is that there is way more fanfic and hentai about it than official content.

Rick Mills
9 months ago

Thanks for the compilation!
I loved this wow patch note:

“Venthyr shamans are now provided with a unique therapeutic questline to help them deal with the cognitive dissonance of their Covenant choice.”

Kickstarter Donor
Greaterdivinity
9 months ago

I appreciate the header images, MOP. Truly. This is an art style I can appreciate.