As our veteran readership will remember, one of our core MMORPG awards every year is our award for the most underrated MMO – an MMO that is doing everything right but somehow isn’t getting the hype, money, love, or player attention it deserves. It happens.
And every dang year, the comments of that award are always peppered with people who are quick to argue that the underrated MMO is overrated. And thus was born this traditional poll: What was the most overrated MMO of the past year, specifically? What online game just does not deserve the accolades it got in 2021, either from the MMO community or the greater industry?
As always, in the interest of not punching down, we’re limiting the poll to some of the major MMOs that are still live in the west right now. Pick up to three!
Leaderboard: What was the most overrated MMO of 2021?
- New World (54%, 1,372 Votes)
- Final Fantasy XIV (11%, 272 Votes)
- Guild Wars 2 (1%, 33 Votes)
- Elder Scrolls Online (2%, 56 Votes)
- World of Warcraft (15%, 397 Votes)
- EVE Online (1%, 17 Votes)
- Black Desert (3%, 82 Votes)
- Swords of Legends Online (1%, 19 Votes)
- Elyon (1%, 27 Votes)
- PSO2 New Genesis (2%, 42 Votes)
- Lord of the Rings Online (1%, 18 Votes)
- Star Wars The Old Republic (0%, 12 Votes)
- Crowfall (2%, 55 Votes)
- RuneScape (1%, 18 Votes)
- ArcheAge (1%, 19 Votes)
- Albion Online (1%, 22 Votes)
- Blade and Soul (0%, 8 Votes)
- Neverwinter (0%, 9 Votes)
- DC Universe Online (0%, 9 Votes)
- EverQuest II (0%, 3 Votes)
- TERA (1%, 14 Votes)
- Elite Dangerous (1%, 13 Votes)
- Dungeons and Dragons Online (0%, 3 Votes)
- Star Trek Online (0%, 11 Votes)
- Nothing (1%, 23 Votes)
- Something else (tell us in the comments) (0%, 10 Votes)
Total Voters: 2,081
(World of Warcraft “won” this poll last year, hence the image up top.)