Betawatch: A new year, a new closed beta (January 5, 2018)
Here we are, in the untamed wilderness of 2018! It feels a lot like 2017 so far, except that it’s a year later. Also, at least here, it’s buried under snow. Also, Global Adventures has moved into its closed beta test, which is new. You can get in on that, although you should feel fairly warned that it’s going to have a wipe prior to open beta, so fairly warned be ye.
For the most part, it seems that studios were still remembering that they have to get back to work if they’re going to enjoy the new year. But we still had some movement on the beta front, so that’s all right. Examples of such are listed below.
- The ninth alpha test for Saga of Lucimia shared some information and a prologue story, which will require a full group to fully read about. You may assemble the group however you wish, but it may not include using the phone.
- Hyper Universe launches on January 17th. If you didn’t know it was in testing before now… well, it is. And it’s launching on the 17th. Keep up.
- Speaking of launches, Monster Hunter World is launching on January 26th for consoles. If you’re sticking to the PC, you’ll have to wait until the fall. Hey, it’s still a better deal than PC players got for the original Destiny. Another PS4 beta test is scheduled for January 18th.
- If you’re curious about Seed, you’ve got some footage of the pre-alpha gameplay to check out.
- Last but not least, the MMO portion of Life is Feudal is moving into Early Access on January 11th, which is slightly different than its current testing schedule. How so? Well, that’s early access, not beta. Also it probably lacks wipes.
That’s not a bad way to kick off the year, huh? There’s going to be more this year, we’re sure, but we’ve still got a list past the break of the games we know to be in testing. If something has skipped into launch or seems to have quietly shuttered while evading our notice, do let us know down in the comments. It’s very helpful and we appreciate it.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Citadel: Forged with Fire: Early access
Closers: Closed beta
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
Dauntless: Closed beta
Dark and Light: Early access
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Edengrad: Early access
Eleven: Closed alpha
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Gloria Victis: Early access on Steam
Global Adventures: Closed beta
H1Z1: Paid early access
Just Survive: Paid early access
Legends of Aria: Final alpha, formerly known as Shards Online; closed beta on January 15th
Life is Feudal: Open beta
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
OrbusVR: Early access
Osiris: New Dawn: Early access
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Culling: Early access testing
The Exiled: Early access; formerly Das Tal
The Repopulation: Closed alpha
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Valiance Online: Alpha testing
Wild Buster: Limited alpha testing
Wild Terra: Steam early access
Wild West Online: Early access alpha
Worlds Adrift: Closed beta