Path of Exile creates the industry’s first ‘transparent’ lockbox

We’ve all griped and grumbled about how MMO lockboxes are too much like gambling and tend to swindle players out of money for a chance at getting desired items. But what if an MMO came out with a lockbox that told you up front what your odds are of winning rare items, promised you an item of equal value or more to what you spend on it, and said that any of its offerings would be put up for sale on the store at a later date?

That’s exactly what Path of Exile is doing with its new classic mystery box. “We’ve taken a look at how our mystery boxes are designed, and have revamped our systems to be more ethical, transparent and provide more value than ever before,” the studio said. “We’ve flattened out the odds of possible outcomes to make it more likely to receive the most valuable microtransactions than in previous boxes.”

The odds are no secret; players have a 20% chance of winning a rare item, 35% chance of an uncommon, and 45% chance of a common in each box. Additionally, while the boxes won’t tell you what’s inside, they will post the price up front of the value of each box’s contents so that you can make a more informed purchase.

Check out what some of the offerings look like in the classic mystery box after the break!

Source: Path of Exile. Thanks BalsBigBrother and Anon!
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Code of Conduct | Edit Your Profile | Commenting FAQ | Badge Reclamation | Badge Key

50
LEAVE A COMMENT

Please Login to comment
  Subscribe  
newest oldest most liked
Subscribe to:
Reader
Stropp

I still don’t like spending real money for the chance to win something I want, aka gambling.

Why can’t they tell us what is in the box, and then I can choose to spend ‘money’ if it’s something I need or want. But there’s no way I’m going to buy a lockbox key if there’s a chance the item will be useless to me. I’d rather just vender the lockbox, which is what I do most times anyway.

Reader
Jeremy Barnes

You can just wait a month and buy the items directly…

Reader
Bryan Correll

One major problem with POE’s lockboxes is that the contents aren’t tradable. If I already have a couple Arcane Halo’s (a common item in the new box) the value to me of another one isn’t 30 points, it’s zero points.
Also: The available items are pointed out as having value up to 450 points. But the only item with a value that high is the purple scorpion non-combat pet. And I doubt there are many people that would consider that particular item to really be worth $45.

Veldan
Reader
Patreon Donor
Veldan

Well, if lockbox items were open to trade, the economy would no longer be closed and the game would be P2W. Unless they created a seperate trade system just for store cosmetics. That would be nice, but I don’t think it will ever happen.

Reader
Scrungle

Never understood the kerfuffle with lock boxes. Don’t like em? Don’t buy em. Good on GGG for being more transparent, they really want to keep that best F2P mantle.

Xijit
Reader
Kickstarter Donor
Xijit

Uhm … Doesn’t (20+35+45) = 90?

What happens on the last 10%?

Reader
Loyal Patron
Armsbend

No it equals 100. Add the 5s.

Xijit
Reader
Kickstarter Donor
Xijit

I am tired: I added 20+35 in my head and came up with 45.

Reader
Bryan Correll

Time to replace your cooling rod.

Reader
Loyal Patron
Armsbend

Fire Emblem mobile summon orbs have the percentages laid out. They are the same things as lockboxes and did it before Path. I doubt FE was the first.

I bought two Path boxes with left over points and got junk. Fireworks – peh.

GGG – stop allowing dupes on effects please.

Reader
Kickstarter Donor
Patreon Donor
Loyal Patron
BalsBigBrother

I got a thing that changed by gloves purple, one that changes Herald of Ash purple (which I am using) and also fireworks. shrugs.

Reader
Loyal Patron
Armsbend

I really just want the floating sign of godhood above my players head. I think it looks cool on pretty much all costumes. I may buy the $30 pack and roll the bones again.

I said I had given enough to GGG over the years for one video game (my guess is roughly $150ish) and wouldn’t do so again. And here I am.

I am a dope.

Reader
MassivelyMacD

So, if they’ve gone that way to make it more whatever, why not go it all the way and make it a purchase of the desired item with the correct price directly? I don’t get it.

Reader
Kickstarter Donor
Patreon Donor
Loyal Patron
BalsBigBrother

All the items with the exception of two will be available directly from the store a month after the current legacy league has finished. The lootbox offer you a chance to get the items earlier and potentially cheaper though obviously the cheaper part is not guaranteed due to the nature of gambling.

Reader
Wanda Clamshuckr

“..more ethical”
“..more likely”

You’re still putting lipstick on a pig.

A lockbox is a lockbox. The gambling process remains the same.

Reader
Kickstarter Donor
Loyal Patron
Tobasco da Gama

I mean, your odds of winning at a roulette or craps table are well-known and transparent. It’s still gambling, but at least it’s a mildly less exploitative form of gambling, I guess?

Xijit
Reader
Kickstarter Donor
Xijit

Well, you are not exactly wrong … But the difference here is that this is like them showing you the roulette tavle vs the rest of the industry hiding it so you have no clue what the odds are.

Reader
Loyal Patron
Armsbend

People have learned to accept [real casino-type] gambling likely because you can find the odds. Only the video game industry is allowed to mask odds while marketing to kids specifically. Funny, huh?

Reader
Sally Bowls

Sigh. Except the largest casino gambling is not craps, blackjack or roulette, it is slot machines. Where the odds are masked.

Reader
Dug From The Earth

I respect them for being honest with the chances.

It doesnt make lockboxes any better however. Its still RNG.

If i was gonna give money to someone though for their game, GGG would be at the top of my list. Ill just stick to buying the non-random items from them though.

Reader
rafael12104

Welp, at least their upfront about things.

As for seeing the value of the box, I’ll have to see how that works in practice. Do you see the value before purchase? And if it is a low value, can you pick another box?

Reader
Kickstarter Donor
Patreon Donor
Loyal Patron
BalsBigBrother

All the items in the lockbox loot table are listed on the site along with the cost they will they will charge when the items make it onto the store as individual items, which is planned to be a month after the current legacy league ends.

You are also given the percentage odds of receiving each item so you can decide whether you want to spend you money trying to get them potentially cheaper via rng or wait and pay the list price (anything upto $45 for the most expensive item in the loot table)