Lord of the Rings Online tests Brawler and Legendary Items 2.0, reveals fall expansion name: Fate of Gundabad

It’s as big of a week for Lord of the Rings Online as possible without an actual release. That’s because Standing Stone Games finally started testing two major features that are coming to the game in the near future: the Brawler class and the long, long-awaited legendary item revamp.

The studio said that Brawlers “forgo weapons in favor of battle gauntlets and steel armour, hurling themselves into battle to the benefit of friend and devastation of foe.” The class can be accessed by any race (except Beornings) and can spec for damage, off-tanking, and support.

As for Legendary Items 2.0, the new system is far more streamlined, utilizing socketed items (called “traceries”) that can allow for growth without having to replace the weapon or class item.

Also, the official name and logo for this fall’s expansion has been revealed: Fate of Gundabad.

Source: LOTRO, Twitter. Thanks Phil!

Inline Feedback
Munchmeat2(@munchmeat2)
4 months ago

The LI revamp appears to have more of grind than the current version lol. The LI grind is mainly why I don’t play Lotro anymore. I don’t have time to grind those weapons in order to be raid ready. Maybe someday these MMO companies will figure out that casual gamers don’t want to be bothered with these boring grinding systems in 2021. I think this is one of the main issues that MMOs have these days as to why they aren’t as popular as they used to be. People have way too many options for casual games now that respect your time.

Ardra Diva(@ardra_diva)
4 months ago
Reply to  Munchmeat2

“casual gamers” and “raid-ready” seem like two different class of gamer IMHO

Koshelkin(@lost_faith)
4 months ago
Reply to  Munchmeat2

Some people enjoy working for their stuff and the added sense of achievement. Some people want to get the best things without devoting large parts of their private time to it. It’s much more a matter of taste than sense. When I was still raiding actively I would have been bored if the game just handed this to me. It would have felt non-consequential/anti-climatic.

Kickstarter Donor
Loyal Patron
Patreon Donor
Tobasco da Gama(@tobasco_da_gama)
4 months ago

I skimmed the Bullroarer post, but I’m waiting to see a proper walkthrough before I decide how I feel about the new LI system. The devil’s in the details of acquiring and upgrading Traceries.

Patreon Donor
Loyal Patron
Schlag Sweetleaf(@mar_x_teeg)
4 months ago

star of roidendil.gif
Bruno Brito(@bruno_brito)
4 months ago

Louey got a gameplay video. My opinion: Looks great. Doesn’t fit with the game. I wouldn’t care but i’m still championing the cause of the Guardian rework. So yeah. Still salty about that.

Munchmeat2(@munchmeat2)
4 months ago
Reply to  Bruno Brito

I think the class fits well with the game personally. Much better fit than a Rune Keeper.

Bruno Brito(@bruno_brito)
4 months ago
Reply to  Munchmeat2

How so? Runekeeping is something that a lot of dwarves do, across the pop-fantasy landscape. Isn’t that the same for LoTR? Also, while i don’t think there’s nothing wrong with brawler being there, i find that adding a class that punches things when there wasn’t a single punch thrown in the three movies, while iconic classes like Guardians aren’t reworked to perform better is a bit of a bad direction.

Munchmeat2(@munchmeat2)
4 months ago
Reply to  Bruno Brito

There were plenty of punches thrown in the movies mate. You forgot the scene when the company meets Theoden. A lot of punches where thrown there. Like this is literally a street fight lol.

Edit: Rune Keepers wielding magic goes completely against the lore of the books too.

Bruno Brito(@bruno_brito)
4 months ago
Reply to  Munchmeat2

Guess i forgot that. I don’t think it’s enough to make one entire class tho.