Earlier this month, Black Desert GMs ran a live in-game event. I was super excited to hear about something like that in a newer MMORPG until I saw some of the complaints. Apparently, the event amounted to a “mysterious stranger” played by what I assume is a GM, who arrived on Valencia 6 and started “gathering souls,” i.e., murdering everyone in sight with a scythe, until players took him down.
To me, that’s not really a live event. That’s the sort of obnoxious thing GMs used to do in classic EverQuest, inhabit sand giants and just start massacring newbs (less funny back when deaths cost you experience).
I’m jaded; I’ve seen live events in Ultima Online for so long that my bar is way higher than just powertripping GMs on a god character. I expect a long-running storyline, discussion, choices, a purpose to the interaction that elevates it above, well, a world boss. What do you expect out of live MMORPG events in 2017?
What do you expect out of live MMORPG events in 2017? (Choose all that apply.)
- Some kind of interaction with live NPCs (12%, 36 Votes)
- Roleplay interactions. (10%, 29 Votes)
- Combat challenges. (6%, 17 Votes)
- Special loot. (10%, 30 Votes)
- ANY loot. (6%, 17 Votes)
- Multiple locations. (6%, 18 Votes)
- An ongoing plot or storyline. (12%, 35 Votes)
- ANY plot or story at all besides KILL. (12%, 37 Votes)
- Some sort of permanent effect on the game. (9%, 27 Votes)
- Badges, titles, or achievements. (9%, 28 Votes)
- What's a live event? I have never seen one. Sadface. (7%, 20 Votes)
- Don't know, no reply, elf butts, view responses. (2%, 6 Votes)
Total Voters: 77