Among the many rumors being kicked around about BlizzCon is the rumor that the company is gearing up to announce a sequel to its popular team shooter Overwatch. (Cue my husband making sad faces at me, since he stopped playing Overwatch in favor of Paladins while we wait to see whether Blizzard can earn us back post-Blitzchung.)
A lot of the BlizzCon rumors we get in the lead-up to the event every year do turn out to be true, but I still feel somewhat skeptical about this one. Overwatch is only three years old and a bit of change, and it just hit the Switch (with far less pomp than the game itself deserved). True, I would be shocked if Blizzard isn’t working on some sort of sequel – we had pretty convincing sources claiming that Overwatch 2 is indeed in production as of this summer and indeed that it’ll have some sort of Left 4 Dead-style PvE component – but I don’t think it could be far enough along for an announcement. This is not a company that usually announces things early.
But hey, people are already hyping BlizzCon as a complete reversal of Blizzard’s fortunes from last year (which is why the Hong Kong mess is such a bad sign for the studio). So who knows – maybe the studio is going to do it anyway and get those hype trains rolling earlier. Investors seem to think so. Blizz could use some wins right now. Blizz could use a lot of wins.
What do you think – will Blizzard announce Overwatch 2 at BlizzCon?
Will Blizzard announce Overwatch 2 at BlizzCon? (Choose up to three.)
- Yep, definitely announcing it. (14%, 43 Votes)
- Nah, they're working on it but not announcing it yet. (12%, 36 Votes)
- Nah, they're not even working on it. (13%, 38 Votes)
- They'll announce something else big for Overwatch instead. (18%, 55 Votes)
- The announcement will be for Overwatch's replacement as one batch of rumors claimed. (1%, 4 Votes)
- The announcement will be for Overwatch's sequel as one batch of rumors claimed. (3%, 10 Votes)
- I have no idea but I'm stocking the popcorn. (13%, 40 Votes)
- Don't care - Blizzard and BlizzCon are CANCELED. (15%, 46 Votes)
- Something else - tell us in the comments. (0%, 1 Votes)
- No reply / view tally/ Tracer butts. (10%, 29 Votes)
Total Voters: 247