Oculus now demands you connect via Facebook for VR

    
20

While it doesn’t seem like the virtual reality headset revolution truly swept the land as industry experts were expertly expecting a few years ago, there are certainly plenty of gamers who made the jump to VR.

Unfortunately, if you’re one of those who did purchase a VR headset and decided that the Oculus Rift or Quest was the way to go, you’re going to have to accept its Facebook overlords that now rule over the hardware. On Tuesday, Oculus announced that all of its users will first need to connect to the device via Facebook. The company also said it plans to end support for all Oculus accounts not merged with Facebook accounts by the start of 2023.

Naturally, everyone is delighted with this move, and by “delighted” we mean “are taking to the streets with pitchforks and torches because of their sheer hatred for Facebook.”

“How do they take something so cool and just accidentally evacuate their bowels on it?” one user said. Trust us, this was no accident.

Source: Twitter
Advertisement

No posts to display

newest oldest most liked
Subscribe to:
Reader
Crowe

This was inevitable. I can’t imagine any other reason Facebook would have purchased Oculus. (and definitely one of the main reasons I’d never consider it)

Reader
Nate Woodard

LOL. Welp. Bye bye, Ms Oculus Rift pie. Drove the vr gaming headset to the levy but the levy was dry…

Reader
rk70534

Facebook suspended my account without giving a reason, beyond that I had done something unspecific against their rules, in April, automatically rejected appeal immediately after I had uploaded photo of my ID card they demanded and I got message that my account is permanently suspended. No reason why given.

At no point were any actual humans from Facebook’s part involved to my understanding, only computer programs. The rejected appeal message took only a few minutes to arrive from the ending of the upload.

There is no Facebook human customer service I can contact, as I am not a company – and that service, from what I have read, isn’t that great either.

So I couldn’t use any Oculus products without creating a new account against FB rules and hiding my IP, using another phone number and perhaps also a fake ID.

This is a disaster in making because when something goes wrong with Facebook, you literally can’t do anything about it except complain online in threads like these.

Reader
Kanbe

Oh look, good early warning signs of one of my worst nightmares. I’m dreadimg the day its basically required to hook everything into a social media account. I know privacy is dead, but at least let me stay away from that crap.

Reader
Anstalt

Well, if I was ever going to buy a virtual reality headset, this would put me off buying from Oculus.

On the plus side, this move will open up facebook to a ton of GDPR lawsuits, as such a move is basically illegal in the EU now.

Reader
John Mclain

Ha! Called it years ago. Enjoy your facebook advertisements taking up upto 70% of your field of view before they induce seizures. (Movie reference.) Glad I spent the extra money to buy the Index now.

Reader
Crowe

I was thinking exactly that — but I was wondering… was it 70 or 75 percent? And you answered that for me. :)

Reader
Arktouros

This was like 70% of the reason why I wanted nothing to do with Oculus once Facebook bought them out. It was only a matter of time before everything switched over to that. The other 30% was I felt the Camera technology was inferior to Valve’s Lighthouse technology and Valve’s attitude regarding VR.

Oh, and it’s 100% bad as you think it is:

When you log into Oculus using your Facebook account, Facebook will use information related to your use of VR and other Facebook products to provide and improve your experience. This information is also used to show you personalized content, including ads. For example, we might show you recommendations for Oculus Events you might like, ads about Facebook apps and technologies, or ads from developers for their VR apps.

Reader
Loyal Patron
Patreon Donor
Alberto

WOW talk about a fast way to KILL a Product Line/Brand….

Reader
Loopy

Unreal. Not only can i not add any friends to my Oculus ecosystem without a facebook account, but now i won’t even be able to log in myself?

This is only going to serve to alienate people who were on the fence on which VR kit to buy, resulting in sales losses. Brilliant plan, Facebook..

Reader
Danny Smith

Facebook and VR. That super lucrative cross over point between early adopters and boomers ranting about vaccinations and ‘the ‘rona conspiracy’. Thats a market with real groundswell!