Picture this: It’s 2015. Sony just sold off SOE, and it reformed as Daybreak and began purging games, hard – around 20 to date, to say nothing of all the layoffs, canceled in-production games, deception about the acquisition of Standing Stone, and then the weird takeover of EG7 (and that’s without even mentioning the Columbus Nova fiasco back in 2018). The company that was once so beloved for rescuing lost MMOs that it won best studio four years in a row essentially became a company that appeared to have one foot in the grave – and spawned an annual tradition here on MOP whereby we try to guess which game will be the next to meet Daybreak’s axe. So here’s where we stand at the top of 2023:
- In 2015, you picked Dragon’s Prophet (and it sunsetted later that year).
- In 2017, you picked PlanetSide 2 (it’s still alive and kickin’; the right answer for 2017 would’ve been Landmark).
- In 2018, you picked Just Survive (basically dead with zero hope of recovery).
- In 2019, you picked the unannounced EverQuest game aka EverQuest III (which wasn’t mentioned as a project in the most recent investor report either).
- In 2020 and 2021 you picked PC H1Z1 aka Z1 Battle Royale (deep in maintenance mode).
- And in 2022, the Z1 franchise took both first and second place, followed by EverQuest III. The 32 of you who predicted it would be the Marvel MMO can pat yourselves on the back because you nailed it.
Let’s hop to the polls for another round: Which Daybreak MMO do you think is most vulnerable now? (P.S.: We picked a very serious PlanetSide 2 pic for this post because we don’t really think PlanetSide 2 is in danger, having just broken another record for concurrency.)
Leaderboard: What's the most vulnerable Daybreak MMO in 2023?
- DC Universe Online (11%, 27 Votes)
- Dungeons and Dragons Online (9%, 22 Votes)
- EverQuest (1%, 3 Votes)
- EverQuest II (5%, 14 Votes)
- Lord of the Rings Online (2%, 4 Votes)
- Magic the Gathering Online (14%, 35 Votes)
- PlanetSide 2 (5%, 12 Votes)
- The sad remains of the H1Z1 franchise (31%, 79 Votes)
- The rumored next EverQuest III (9%, 22 Votes)
- A totally different unannounced game (4%, 9 Votes)
- All of the above (5%, 13 Votes)
- None of the above (6%, 16 Votes)
Total Voters: 256