Yep, it’s that time of year again: We’ve been doing this recap for the last several years, although this one is going to be interesting, given that Daybreak just got sold to EG7 last month.
Longtime readers will recall that in early 2015, SOE was sold off as Daybreak and was hit with game purges and layoffs (as of last year, we were guessing around 20 titles closed total). At the time, we didn’t know it would become a recurring thing, the studio kinda stayed a mess ever since – a frustrating notion since SOE once won best studio four years in a row thanks to its reputation for keeping beloved MMORPGs going.
So here’s where we stand at the top of 2021:
- In 2015, you picked Dragon’s Prophet. It sunsetted later that year.
- In 2017, you picked PlanetSide 2. It lives and is apparently doing very well.
- In 2018, you picked Just Survive. It’s now dead.
- In 2019, you picked the unannounced EverQuest game. We’re assuming it’s still in production.
- In 2020, if I discount “all of the above,” which technically won, then Z1 Battle Royale – the PC version of H1Z1 – was in the lead. And technically, it’s still going, but it’s been neglected all year and was largely omitted from EG7’s investor report, which doesn’t bode well for its future.
This year, since we now know Daybreak owns SSG outright, we get to add two new games to the list discretely: Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons and Dragons Online. But we also have a much better understanding of how each of the games is doing, which I have to think will change the voting this year. Let’s do our poll: Which Daybreak MMO do you think is most vulnerable now?
Leaderboard: What's the most vulnerable Daybreak MMO in 2021?
- DC Universe Online (4%, 16 Votes)
- Dungeons and Dragons Online (6%, 23 Votes)
- EverQuest (1%, 5 Votes)
- EverQuest II (7%, 29 Votes)
- H1Z1 (PS4) (If Daybreak still has a stake in it) (13%, 53 Votes)
- Lord of the Rings Online (11%, 45 Votes)
- PlanetSide 2 (5%, 20 Votes)
- Z1 Battle Royale (PC) (23%, 94 Votes)
- The unannounced game Dimensional Ink is working on (1%, 4 Votes)
- The rumored next EverQuest game (8%, 32 Votes)
- The Alien game that might still be in production under Cold Iron (4%, 18 Votes)
- The canceled Marvel game brought back from the dead (6%, 24 Votes)
- A totally different unannounced game (1%, 5 Votes)
- All of the above (6%, 25 Votes)
- None of the above (4%, 15 Votes)
Total Voters: 327