The crowdfunding campaigns for Hero’s Song might have run short of their goals, but that didn’t stop the game from reaching a state of playability. Seriously, the game hit early access on Steam this week. You can access it right now. Early, if you will. You get the idea.
And yes, there was other beta stuff going on this week. Let’s look at it, shall we?
- Is Cyberpunk 2077 an MMORPG? It very well might be. Of course, we could just be told whether it is or isn’t, but words no longer mean anything. Alpha means beta, beta means launch, up is down, freedom is slavery, MMOs have never existed.
- Winning Putt launched on Steam, giving everyone all of the joys of playing a game of golf without all of that golf. There may be golf-related raids.
- Looking forward to Lineage Eternal when it finally gets out of beta and gets localized? That’s getting just a little bit closer with the game’s Korean closed beta scheduled for November 30th. So it’s the end of the month, but it’s happening.
- The Imperial Realm: Miranda is an MMORTS made by one guy over the span of seven years. That alone is reason enough to be interested in the game’s first stress tests. One dude, seven years, in the much-neglected MMORTS genre. Neat.
- Closed beta testing for Revelation Online steams along with a new bug tracker; the game also detailed the ornate mechanics of guilds for those curious.
- Want to sign up for the next Worlds Adrift alpha test? You can do that now, and it even comes with a new trailer for everyone. Even if you don’t sign up.
You know we also have our list of games just below for everyone who likes to follow all of the betas going on. At least, the ones we know of are down there. Did we miss something, either a game shuffling into a launch state or a game that’s testing without us catching it? Do let us know down in the comments, we greatly appreciate it.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Albion Online: Closed beta will last well into 2017
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Cloud Pirates: Closed beta
Crossout: Closed beta
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Eleven: Closed alpha
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Fragmented: Early access
Gigantic: Closed beta
Gloria Victis: Early Access on Steam
H1Z1: Paid early access, split into two games
Hero’s Song: Early access
HEX: Unofficial open beta
LawBreakers: Closed alpha
Life is Feudal: Closed alpha
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Master x Master: Alpha test
Mu Legend: Closed beta
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Origins of Malu: Development suspended
Osiris: New Dawn: Early access
Paladins: Closed beta
Paragon: Open beta
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
Revelation Online: Closed beta
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Shards Online: Pre-alpha
SkySaga: Ongoing NA and UK alpha events
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Culling: Early access testing
The Exiled: Ongoing alpha tests, summer alpha currently active; formerly Das Tal
The Repopulation: Alpha offline, moving to the Unreal engine
Tree of Life: Open beta
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Valiance Online: Alpha testing
Wild Terra: Steam early access on December 1st