Pantheon reveals its Ranger, Rogue, and Monk classes

This month’s Pantheon newsletter is a doozy for folks eagerly awaiting the details of the game’s classes.┬áVisionary Realms has revealed three: the sneaky Rogue along with the versatile Ranger toon, though fans of classic D&D-inspired MMORPGs may be most interested in the Monk.

“[The Monk’s] internal flow of Chakra is held back by a series of six gates, like water behind a sequence of dams. The Monk must learn to open these gates in order to wield their Chakra without limits, releasing it in a torrent of punishing damage, or in the form of powerful defensive and self-healing abilities. The 6 gates are known as: The Gate of Anger, the Gate of Peace, the Gate of Sorrow, the Gate of Joy, the Gate of Balance and the Gate of Release. In combat, Monks will constantly generate Chakra as a percentage of the damage they deal. In addition, certain abilities will increase a Monk’s Chakra by a certain amount when used.”

Racial combos, armor types, weapon types, and even a partial list of abilities are all included with the reveals, so they’re worth a click-through. VR says to expect more class details throughout the summer.┬áThe newsletter includes a deep-dive into the Orc tribes, as well.

MOP’s Eliot Lefebvre saw Pantheon at PAX East and you’ll recall he came away surprisingly impressed; an excerpt of his hands-on is included in the game’s newsletter too as the devs recap their experiences at the con.

Source: Newsletter, press release

Inline Feedback
(@kelvar)
3 years ago

Do you still have to sit down mid-combat to recover resources? Because that’s a pretty boring non-starter for me that seemed to be sold as “fun”…

Slaasher(@hopestealer)
3 years ago

Well the monk certainly sounds interesting. I hope we hear news of necro for launch. I doubt it will happen but a classic necro is sorely missed by me in MMO’s today.

Aaron Weddle(@aaronwed1)
3 years ago

my problem with this game is mostly there support system 50 dollars for a copy of the game and some ingame stuff no beta access or alpha access plus if this is a sub model game (because it’s stupid if it is) is not worth it

Solaris(@paganrites)
3 years ago

Pantheon is going to be a sleeper hit.

Loyal Patron
Joseph Chello(@joseph_chello_photodrone)
3 years ago

These guys keep coming up with interesting twists on classic combat and social gameplay foundations. I’ve got to say that this is exactly what I have been waiting for. The only thing that has me worried is cosmetics and real money purchased items. Even if they allow for an option in menus to turn off visibility of said cosmetics, two different players who have opposite settings might view a third player completely differently.
Player 1 “Hey, neat armor, player 3”
Player 2 “Huh? I don’t see what you’re talking about”
Player 3 “Oh, player 2, go into your settings and enable cosmetics, player 1 can see what I have on”

Yeah, that just rips immersion and kills any of the hard work the lore and background people do, because the veneer is ripped off and all we see is a real money transaction behind every player. Where’s that in the lore? eh?

kjempff(@kjempff)
3 years ago
Reply to  Joseph Chello

Where did you get that from?
I have not heard about any rmt items, cosmetic or otherwise, in Pantheon. Not saying they couldn’t fall into that pit, but untill I see some kind of proof (link?)…

Loyal Patron
Joseph Chello(@joseph_chello_photodrone)
3 years ago
Reply to  kjempff

I recall reading this from Ben “Kilsin” Walters quote some time ago (1year or so) on the Pantheon reddit. As the game is in Alpha, I might expect this to change.

kjempff(@kjempff)
3 years ago
Reply to  Joseph Chello

Thanks for the link. You made it sound like it was an official decision. I doubt it is likely to happen, and certainly would not be well recieved by the fanbase, so for now it is just speculation.

I agree that a cosmetic shop is exactly what we don’t want to see in Pantheon.

Russell Hunt(@pompouspeasant)
3 years ago

This and Camelot Unchained are the only two mmo’s I’m looking forward to in the future….keeping fingers crossed.