One of the first cross-platform MMORPGs ever just got even more friendly to the free-to-play PC crowd. Sci-fi MMO Vendetta Online announced last night a business model shift that makes the subscription truly optional: Before, PC players had to jump from a trial to a $1 subscription, whereas now they default to freemium as on mobile, meaning they can keep playing without that sub. Some of the more irritating caps and restrictions have been lifted from free players, while more benefits are apparently being added for folks who do continue with the sub.
“VO 1.8.524 includes:
– Freemium gameplay access is now possible from all platforms, including PC, along with the usage of Crystal.
– Freemium is now the default for new PC accounts, instead of Trial.
– Freemium and Lite accounts may now submit Events.
– Freemium and Lite accounts may now create Guilds, and serve as Council.
– All level caps have been removed for Lite and Freemium players.
– Lite Members now gain access to build and use Goliath-class capital ships (also retains 50% higher daily crystal limits from bots).
– Technically, all players may now construct Capital Ship components, but final assembly and usage is limited by membership tier.”
“On-going business model changes may be expected,” Guild Software writes. “Premium access still includes: Tridents, less aggressive AFK logoff, LTS benefits, etc. New content will be added to the Premium tier, along with other benefits.”
The cynic in me is certainly wondering whether the release of EVE Echoes may have something to do with this shift, especially given how expensive Echoes has turned out to be, but either way, it’s a win for players.