The doors are open for Das Tal‘s summer test, and the result has been good and bad. Good because a lot of people want to play, naturally, but bad because there have been some server issues and associated bugs. The team is hard at work on making sure players can jump in and enjoy the game, with a small patch just released to improve server performance. That’s what tests are all about, after all.
Other beta news? Sure, we’ll share that with you. Because we’re nice.
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex – First Assault Online, aside from being the three-year champion in the Most Unwieldy Name championship, is hitting open testing on July 28th. If you’ve been testing it alone, now you can stand together. In a complex. That joke kind of got away from us.
- Durango is starting its pre-alpha testing on July 27th for everyone who needs to be surviving dinosaurs on their mobile devices. Considering the alternative may be surviving boredom in the dentist’s office, that seems fair.
- Want all of the fun of Guns of Icarus and its airship battles but without all that pesky PvP? The game’s PvE mode is open for everyone who owns the game between August 1st through the 8th.
- Ain’t no party like an Atlas Reactor open testing party because an Atlas Reactor open testing party apparently does not stop. Seriously, it’s still going. When will it end? Who knows!
- Last but not least, Eternal Crusade has bugs. Big bugs. Tyranids, to be specific. That may be underselling the nature of bugs somewhat.
Oh, and we’ve also packed plenty more games just below if you just want an idea of what’s in testing right now. If something opened up a cash shop unexpectedly, please do let us know. You’ll be invited to our birthday parties that we’ll cancel at the last minute.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Closed beta, open beta planned soon
Albion Online: Closed beta, final test starts August 1st
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Crossout: Closed beta
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
Das Tal: Ongoing alpha tests, summer alpha currently active
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Eleven: Closed alpha
Eternal Crusade: Early access play on Steam
Ever, Jane: Closed beta
Fragmented: Closed backer beta
Gigantic: Closed beta
Gloria Victis: Early Access on Steam
H1Z1: Paid early access, split into two games
HeroWarz: Closed beta
HEX: Unofficial open beta
LawBreakers: Closed alpha
Life is Feudal: Early access beta
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Master x Master: Alpha test
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Origins of Malu: Development suspended
Otherland: Early access
Paladins: Closed beta
Paragon: Early access; Open beta August 16th
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
Shards Online: Pre-alpha
Shroud of the Avatar: Steam early access, backer testing
SkySaga: Ongoing NA and UK alpha events
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Culling: Early access testing
The Repopulation: Alpha offline, moving to the Unreal engine, survival spinoff Fragmented in early access
Tree of Life: Open beta
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Twin Saga: Closed beta, launching in August
Valiance Online: Pre-alpha testing
World of Warcraft: Legion: Closed beta, launching August 30th