There’s been a big ol’ ruckus about New World across Reddit the last day or two, ever since the closed alpha resumed. You know how these things go: Someone posts a disgruntled comment about the “wowification” of the game on the alpha forums; Amazon banned him for toxicity; the someone then posts it all over Reddit, accusing Amazon of censorship; that becomes a huge flamewar; then those threads get deleted for breaking the NDA; then more cries of censorship; then the original poster’s account vanishes and it’s a whole conspiracy for like a day until the next thing comes along. So, you know: Reddit.
Anyone who mods a community sees this kind of thing daily, whether you’re writing about politics or underwater basket weaving, so I admit I usually tune it out. But even so, the tone of the discussion on the New World sub is really rough right now. Sure, it’s a self-selected group of people who either aren’t actually testing or are willfully breaking their NDA to talk about it, but regardless, the people willing to talk in public are real grumpy about the big PvP switcharoo that Amazon announced last month in its attempt to make the game less of an open gankfest.
In fact, it seems as if it’s bad on the private alpha forums too, as an Amazon rep specifically told players the game will not be reverting to the free-for-all full-loot PvP MMORPG – and that they should focus their feedback on “how combat could feel better and focus on skill over level” instead of on trying to convince Amazon to go back to a “version of New World that was not working.”
I’m curious what folks outside of the alpha and Reddit collective think about it all now – whether you’re just wishing the negativity would end, extra anxious to play, or totally over it. To the pollmobile!
Leaderboard: Are you still interested in Amazon's New World?
- I was interested before the PvP changes, and I am still interested now too. (20%, 284 Votes)
- I was interested before the PvP changes, but I am no longer interested. (12%, 175 Votes)
- I wasn't too interested before the PvP changes, but I am much more interested now. (36%, 513 Votes)
- I wasn't interested before the PvP changes, and I am still not interested. (7%, 92 Votes)
- I am not going to decide whether to get invested until there's a launched game for sale. (15%, 211 Votes)
- What's New World? I haven't been following it at all. (5%, 72 Votes)
- Something else, tell us in the comments. (1%, 10 Votes)
- No reply, view tally (4%, 54 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,411
Cheers, A Random MMO Fan.