I have to wonder whether Bethsoft is having some regrets right now. It seems to me that Fallout 76’s beta is being completely overshadowed by the release of Red Dead Redemption. Part of that is probably because the beta is a truncated, discrete ordeal, with windows for testing rather than an always-up scenario (and the PC launch was a bit of a mess). But it’s not really just a test; the game is still supposed to launch on November 14th, and everything players do during these tests carries over into live. It’s more like an early access or even a headstart.
And yet all anyone’s talking about is their red deads. I’m not even sure that will be alleviated much in November, either, given that Red Dead Online is supposed to kick off then too, giving Fallout 76 even more competition. If it weren’t Bethsoft, I’d suspect they’d postpone the launch. In fact, when I first started reading the letter to fans ahead of the beta last week, something about the ominous, distancing tone of it at first scared me into thinking they were canceling for a rework. It just doesn’t read triumphantly at all.
Even MOP’s Justin, a die-hard Fallout fan, didn’t preorder. So now I’m curious about our readers. Let’s see where your allegiances lie…
Leaderboard: Fallout 76 vs RDR2
- I am playing Fallout 76 beta now. (7%, 40 Votes)
- I will play Fallout 76 at launch or afterward. (12%, 68 Votes)
- I won't be playing Fallout 76. (9%, 51 Votes)
- I am playing Red Dead Redemption 2 now. (16%, 93 Votes)
- I will play Red Dead Redemption 2 when it's multiplayer as Red Dead Online. (5%, 27 Votes)
- I will play RDR2 or RDO when it comes to PC. (12%, 71 Votes)
- I won't be playing any iteration of Red Dead Redemption 2. (5%, 30 Votes)
- I am not playing either. (21%, 117 Votes)
- I am or will be playing both. (7%, 39 Votes)
- Something else (tell us in the comments!) (3%, 15 Votes)
- No response / view tally. (3%, 19 Votes)
Total Voters: 405