Leaderboard: Are you sick of MMORPG quests?
When World of Warcraft was in beta and I first gave it a go, I remember being absolutely captivated by questing. It wasn’t as if no MMORPGs before hadn’t included quests. Most of them had, in some way or another, be they Ultima Online’s escort quests, EverQuest’s epics, or Star Wars Galaxies’ missions. The thing that made all the games prior to Blizzard’s 2004 spectacle so different was that questing wasn’t the primary thing to do to advance your character to the cap — it wasn’t the core gameplay element at all. So those of us who were tired of grinding out mobs to level up welcomed a different paradigm, not quite realizing that we were seeing a huge shift in the way MMORPGs were going to be designed from then on out in terms of what players were expected to do — and what we would no longer be able to do at all.
Fast-forward to today: Now when an MMORPG is announced and looks to be primarily quest-driven, at least to the cap, players moan and groan about boring and tedious quest grinds. Just another themepark, people say. I’d rather log out than do one more pointless quest.
Are you also sick of MMORPG questing?
Are you tired of MMORPG questing?
- Yep, I'm so over MMORPG questing and really want something else instead. (19%, 87 Votes)
- I'm tired of some questing in some MMOs, but not in all MMOs. (16%, 77 Votes)
- I'm tired of the currently available MMORPG questing, but I think questing as a concept still has potential. (33%, 155 Votes)
- I'm only mildly tired of questing, but hey at least we're not grinding kobolds! (13%, 61 Votes)
- Nope, I love quests, moar quests please, nothing could ever be better. (15%, 72 Votes)
- Something else (tell us in the comments!) (2%, 10 Votes)
- No opinion / just want to see the polls. (2%, 8 Votes)
Total Voters: 470