The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This week, Epic announced new character Riktor for its MOBA Paragon and explained the thinking behind its tiered skins system. We also caught wind of a massive ban wave in ARG Ingress and peeked into the Warcraft movie’s prequel novel, which is indeed a thing. Read on for the whole run-down!
- Happy birthday, Heroes of the Storm! Blizzard is celebrating with a huge experience boost event running from June 2nd to 14th.
- Gloria Victis got a massive crafting update this week and a stress test this very weekend.
- Final Fantasy XI just plain refuses to accept that it’s in maintenance mode and has announced its next update for June 7th, complete with a new quest and mount system tweaks.
- Following reports of mass-bannings, alternate-reality MMO Ingress announced this week a new component of the game’s anti-cheat system intended to put a stop of players faking their locations and botting, a major problem for the location-based game over the years. “This new component resulted in the termination of accounts that showed clear signs of cheating and we have verified that these results are highly accurate,” wrote Niantic Labs. [Thanks, Nordavind!]
- Cryptic has posted another job offering, this one for a Project Manager.
All the lore
- Wanna get caught up on the “lore” of the Warcraft movie before it launches? There’s a prequel novel for that.
- The Elder Scrolls Online introduced Anvil Provincial Governor Fortunata ap Dugal with a new Dark Brotherhood DLC lore piece.
- Speaking of The Elder Scrolls! Bethsoft has outlined the history of the races for those players new to the franchise with its Elder Scrolls: Legends TCG entry.
On the YouTubes
Heroes & Generals’ “Squad” update has landed:
Albion Online released another video in its biome tour series:
Westerners can now pop into Granblue with fewer contortions.
Forge of Empires says you should seriously bring a coat to its next update.