It’s a week of games entering closed beta. That is the joke here, if you want to call it a joke. Front and center, of course, is the long-awaited Overwatch beta, which you can join by… well, hoping. If you aren’t in it at this point, you’ll just kind of have to wait and hope that you get added in a subsequent wave. But there’s even more stuff going on in beta-land this week than that.
- The English closed beta test for Tree of Savior has kicked off with three servers.
- Civilization Online is technically in pre-open beta with a new set of phases for its test schedule, but seeing as how it’s not in English and “pre-open beta” doesn’t make a lot of sense as a phrase, it’s like a closed beta. Sort of.
- The new strategy card game from RuneScape, Chronicle, is entering closed beta on November 25th.
- Black Desert has moved into its alpha testing. That’s… not beta, but it’s closed. The game also will not have an open beta.
- Another round of closed testing is running for Devilian fans.
- The closed beta for Blade & Soul has also started.
- Last but not least, the closed beta for Albion Online will start up on November 23rd.
And what about all of those other games that we talk about every week? Well, they’re still in the list below here, as always. Check them out, and let us know if something has changed without us noticing. It happens from time to time.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions.
Albion Online: Closed beta starts November 23rd
Ascent: The Space Game: Steam early access
Auto Club Revolution: Closed beta
Beasts of Prey: Early access alpha
Black Desert: Korean and Japanese open beta, North American alpha testing, release in early 2016
Blade & Soul: Closed beta
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Das Tal: Alpha expected in 2015
DayZ: Early access
Devilian: Closed beta
Divergence Online: Alpha
Dungeon Fighter Online: Open testing
Earthrise: First Impact: Alpha testing; no recent updates on development
Eleven: Closed alpha
Eternal Crusade: First wave of closed alpha
EVE: Valkyrie: Pre-alpha registration for EVE and DUST players
Ever, Jane: In testing; 2016 anticipated release
Gloria Victis: Donor pre-alpha
H1Z1: Paid early access
HEX: Unofficial open beta
Kingdom Online: Closed beta
Landmark: Paid closed beta, cash shop active
Life is Feudal: Early access beta
Line of Defense: Early access
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Nosgoth: Open beta
Oort Online: Donor alpha
Origins of Malu: Combat module in early access
Otherland: Early access
Overwatch: Closed beta
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
Shadowrun Chronicles: Steam early access; launching in April
Shards Online: Pre-alpha
Shroud of the Avatar: Steam early access, backer testing
SkySaga: Ongoing NA and UK alpha events
Star Citizen: Backer pre-alpha
Starriser: Taking beta signups
Stash: Backer alpha
The Repopulation: Early access/backer alpha, launching Q4 2015
Tree of Life: Paid early access
Tree of Savior: English beta testing events
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Valiance Online: Pre-alpha testing
Venus Rising: Closed beta (adult/NSFW)