With Cube World once again in the spotlight thanks to a promised launch on Steam this fall, many are perhaps looking for an explanation on why the game has been pushed back from release over four years. Developer Wolfram “Wollay” von Funck has provided that explanation back on his original blog.
In short: von Funck was jarred by a DDoS attack when the game’s shop opened and has been mentally struggling ever since:
“I never told anyone about it, and I don’t want to go into the details, but I’m dealing with anxiety and depression ever since [the attack]. Social media didn’t improve it, as you might imagine. I’m still not sure if it’s a good idea to tell the world about it, but I wanted to give the fans an explanation.”
Wollay also explains that Cube World releases were delayed due to being a “perfectionist,” which led to him worrying that releases and updates weren’t good enough. That said, work on what he calls “Cube World 2.0″ is apparently moving along, with promise of a home page and lore-related things in development along with the new update.
Here's a short clip demonstrating the "Travel History" feature of the world map. On the lower left you can navigate to all previously visited lands. E.g. after a multiplayer session with your friend in a different land, you can easily return to your current "questing land". pic.twitter.com/wMzNaCTMh9
— Wolfram von Funck (@wol_lay) September 8, 2019