Earlier this week, MOP’s Sam Kash came into the MOP writing room cracking up over a thread on the Guild Wars 2 subreddit and the shenanigans some players can get up to when they’re bored or having a laugh. According to the Redditor in question, people in Guild Wars 2 are intermittently roleplaying that they’ve been corrupted by the ice dragon Jormag – to the point that the event fails.
“[E]very so often I join a map where 10-20 people are sitting in Jora’s Keep and doing /em emotes about falling asleep or feeling numb and not wanting to fight, or hearing voices, and everybody else fails to do enough damage to kill the Icebrood Construct before it reaches the keep. It doesn’t happen too often, but it’s frustrating when it does. And hilarious. I don’t even know how to feel about this. This is maybe the biggest memery yet. Jormag wins, folks. Show’s over. The dragon has successfully corrupted the player character.”
Now, Sam dutifully went to this map for a while and tried to experience this hilarity for himself but was unsuccessful. But we’re assuming for the sake of discussion that it happened, and let’s be honest, you’ve probably seen something like this yourself. One person in the replies mentions the Asheron’s Call Defenders of the Shard, an ancient but epic roleplaying/griefing incident we’ve covered in depth ourselves. Heck, maybe you’ve even done something like this yourselves. That’s what this Leaderboard is leading up to.
On Reddit, the discussion went in a bunch of different directions. The event is so boring, they’re roleplaying to keep themselves awake. This should be considered griefing under ArenaNet’s TOS and everyone should be punished. Stop dunking on roleplayers for playing differently from you. At least the game is teaching people about the free rider problem. But I’m mostly just curious whether you’d do this – or have done it before. Have you ever failed MMO events or other in-game tasks on purpose – like for roleplaying’s sake? And did they affect other people?
Leaderboard: Have you ever failed MMO events on purpose - like for roleplaying's sake?
- I've done this before. I'm a rebel. I do what I want. (9%, 9 Votes)
- I've never done this, but now I kinda want to try it? (8%, 8 Votes)
- I would never ever do this. Win first, roleplay later. (12%, 12 Votes)
- Endless respect to these absolute madmen! (18%, 17 Votes)
- Seriously though what is wrong with these people, do the damn event. (9%, 9 Votes)
- I'd only do it on a lesser scale, like wearing pretty but inferior gear. (6%, 6 Votes)
- I'd do it if it affected only me, but not if it hindered other players. (35%, 34 Votes)
- Something else - tell us in the comments! (2%, 2 Votes)
Total Voters: 78