MassivelyOP’s not-so-serious end-of-the-year awards kick off today with our pick for best worst MMO transmedia synergy. (We call these silly awards the Golden Yachties in honor of that dank meme about how games bloggers sail around on a golden yacht with all their blogging money. Obviously, our yacht is constructed from rhodium-encrusted moonrock, not mere gold.)
And the winner is…
SMITE x RUNESCAPE
We really had no idea there was overlap between the SMITE MOBA audience and the classic MMO players who play RuneScape, and maybe there isn’t, but by god, Hi-Rez and Jagex gave it a try anyway, complete with low-poly gear and an elf with a dead-eyed stare.
We had more than a few runners-up:
- Call of Duty’s scented candles
- EVE Online’s Doctor Who promo
- Halo Infinite’s Xbox nail polish collab with OPI
- Destiny’s branded boots
- ArcheAge’s budget Michael Jackson vibe
- EVE and Star Citizen scrap over LEGO
- Arby’s promotes Guild Wars 2. Eat Arby’s.
- SMITE’s Rambo collab (what?)
- PUBG teams up with Hot Pockets
Want to nominate another winner? Let us know in the comments, and don’t forget to check out our serious MMO awards while you’re at it.