The wait for the Camelot Unchained beta has been long and arduous in the way that only “just sit around and wait” can possibly be, but it’s almost here. It’s going to happen! We don’t know quite when, but we do know that we’ve got a new guiding principles document for beta. So it’s coming very soon.
Meanwhile, we also bid farewell to both Tree of Life and Fragmented, as both have launched this week.
More beta news? We’ve got to be honest, it’s been a quiet week… but this stuff might all tickle you along the way just the same.
- We realize that Kritika Online is in an open beta where anyone can play right now, but don’t worry too much, as the game does in fact have a roadmap and launch plans. So that’s cool. Full launch in September!
- You know what else has beta plans? Guild Wars 2. Specifically, another preview weekend of Path of Fire starting up this weekend. At this point you’ll be done with it before it actually launches, which… wait, that’s not a good thing. Maybe ease up on previews.
- It’s only fair to note that Osiris: New Dawn also has a closed beta plan. This might seem odd for a game in Early Access, but a plan is a plan.
- The open beta for Destiny 2 isn’t here, but a new trailer to tease it is here, so you can split the difference a bit? That should be fun to watch, at least.
- It’d be wrong not to mention that Just Survive has now dropped the H1Z1 branding and is supposed to be getting more updates again. We’ll see, but it’s a thing.
- Last but certainly not least, the servers for OrbusVR’s closed beta are online now, so you can jump right in if you’re all (head)set to go. Wordplay!
But is there a list? Yes, of course there’s a list. It’s right down below, and while it may be trimming down slightly it still has no shortage of entries. Perhaps you’d like to let us know about things we may have missed in the comments? Either phase changes or new titles, we’re flexible.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Citadel: Forged with Fire: Early access
Cloud Pirates: Early access
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
Dark and Light: Early access
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Edengrad: Early access
Eleven: Closed alpha
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Gloria Victis: Early access on Steam
H1Z1: King of the Kill: Paid early access
HEX: Unofficial open beta
Just Survive: Paid early access
Kritika Online: Open beta
Legends of Aria: Alpha, formerly known as Shards Online
Life is Feudal: Closed beta
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Mu Legend: Closed beta, open beta in September
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
OrbusVR: Closed beta events
Origins of Malu: Development moving forward on battleground experience, MMO suspended
Osiris: New Dawn: Early access
Paladins: Closed beta
Paragon: Open beta
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Sea of Thieves: Technical alpha
SkySaga: Open beta soft launch approaching, date not yet announced
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Culling: Early access testing
The Exiled: Early access; formerly Das Tal
The Repopulation: Closed alpha
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Valiance Online: Alpha testing
Wild Terra: Steam early access
Worlds Adrift: Closed beta