The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This week, PWE and Cryptic kicked off another stage of Champions Online’s 10th anniversary festivities:
“There’s a brand new event for you to track this week – a city-wide Scavenger Hunt! Head to the Anniversary Host to pick up this new mission, which tasks you with finding items important to Champions’ history throughout Millennium City. Complete it for new titles and a new emote!”
Maybe you’ll discover a new game in this space — or be reminded of an old favorite! You can catch up on new MMOs, word on the testing process, smaller patches and updates, in-game events, essential videos, and more, all waiting for you after the break in this week’s MOP Up!
- SMITE: Patch 5.16 landed with tons of new god skins, cosmetics, announcer packs, and some balance adjustments.
- GTAO brought back Trading Places and introduced the Canis Freecrawler.
- AQ3D’s new patch introduced new options. To the options.
- Dauntless got a wee QOL and engine update.
- Path of Exile tinkered with touch-ups for Delve.
- War of Rights rolled out its 120th testing patch with better bayonets and server capacity fixes.
- Smilegate is holding a presser for Lost Ark on September 27th. Might it finally be coming this way?
- Final Fantasy XI’s September login event is go for launch!
- Pokemon Go is running a trading event: “Starting now, if you trade a Pokémon that has spent time in a Trainer’s Pokémon storage since July 2016 to August 2016, it is guaranteed to become a Lucky Pokémon!”
Odds and ends
- Lineage 2 Revolution announced a crossover event with the Monster Strike franchise.
- Dark and Light picked up a new community manager.
- Fortnite Monopoly is a thing that is happening.
Development of City of Heroes emulator SEGS continues:
War Planet Online celebrated its first anniversary.
New MOBA Heavy Metal Machines announced a September 19th Steam launch date.
Elsword released the third and final installment of the Varnimyr Dungeon.
Get the scoop on version 1.0 of Astroneer straight from the recent PAX West:
And while you’re catching up on PAX West panels, why not watch this one on interactive storytelling, featuring a couple of Guild Wars 2’s team?