You know how some titles like to linger in ill-defined test phases forever? AdventureQuest 3D doesn’t want to go that route. The game is launching into closed beta on July 19th, and then it expects to be in open beta after about a week. Wasting no time, indeed. You can check out our podcast with the team behind the game, too.
It’s been a relatively quiet week for beta news overall (not so much for other news), but there’s still plenty to chew on from the week past.
- Twin Saga appears to be determined to break the usual free-to-play mold of beta perpetuity as well, with an official launch date of August. Sure, that’s not the most decisive date ever, but it’s better than “whenever.”
- Early access seems to be working out pretty well for Gloria Victis so far, what with 30,000 copies of the game being sold. Which either means that it’s doing all right for itself or someone’s mother really wants to support the game her child is working on. I’m betting on the former.
- Do you consider yourself a blade amateur? Then perhaps you should check out the moves of Revelations Online Blademasters to see how far you have to go before you can call yourself a master. (The character creation screen, probably.)
- Shroud of the Avatar‘s final wipe is coming up soon, so the team is working hard to address any and all issues before that happens. You can also explore the world with an interactive online atlas.
- How do you feel about chaos? What about legends? Would you like to play a game called Chaos Legends? It’s taking beta signups, you see.
- Shards Online has dropped a big update, complete with necromancy, dragon taming, and more raid levels to experience. Those all probably synergize in some way that we just haven’t found yet. Maybe the new raid is filled with tameable dragon corpses?
- The Black Death has added in Beggars, who are homeless vagrants with resistance to the plague and a skill involving asking for money. That’s not the combat monster pick for the game..
And now, it’s time for the mystery corner. Dare you guess what’s below the cut? Is it a list of all of the betas we know about? Yes, of course it is. And if something has jumped to a new test phase or surreptitiously launched without saying otherwise, well, you’ll keep us up to date in the comments, right? Yes, of course. So it’s not really much of a mystery.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Closed beta on 7/19, open beta planned shortly after
Albion Online: Closed beta, final test starts August 1st
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Crossout: Closed beta
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
Das Tal: Ongoing alpha tests, summer alpha in July
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Eleven: Closed alpha
Eternal Crusade: Early access play on Steam
Ever, Jane: Closed beta
Fragmented: Closed backer beta
Gigantic: Closed beta
Gloria Victis: Early Access on Steam
H1Z1: Paid early access, split into two games
HeroWarz: Closed beta
HEX: Unofficial open beta
LawBreakers: Closed alpha
Life is Feudal: Early access beta
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Master x Master: Alpha test
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Origins of Malu: Development suspended
Otherland: Early access
Paladins: Closed beta
Paragon: Early access; Open beta August 16th
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
Shards Online: Pre-alpha
Shroud of the Avatar: Steam early access, backer testing
SkySaga: Ongoing NA and UK alpha events
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Culling: Early access testing
The Repopulation: Alpha offline, moving to the Unreal engine, survival spinoff Fragmented in early access
Tree of Life: Open beta
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Twin Saga: Closed beta, launching in August
Valiance Online: Pre-alpha testing
World of Warcraft: Legion: Closed beta, launching August 30th