The NDA for Ashes of Creation is gone! Quickly, everyone, take the time to post as many screenshots as possible… aaaaand it’s back again. Seriously, the game did very briefly drop its NDA this past week, but the permanent drop is scheduled for next week once the designers iron out a notorious recurring bug. You hear that, bug? It’s all your fault.
Other beta news exists. It really does! Look, here’s some:
- Turns out that when you stop hand-wringing and just make an effort to provide PvE options instead of PvP ones, your game’s community grows. Thanks, Worlds Adrift! You can join the list of developers amazed by something that seems patently obvious ahead of time.
- Star Citizen made quite a lot of money with its convention. Not as much as last year, but still a lot. That’s more than most games make at their conventions, probably because most games don’t have them.
- Did you have Feelings about horizontal progression in Torchlight Frontiers? The developers are listening, have already listened, and will continue to listen while providing further updates. What else could you ask for? (Probably for some confirmation that “listening” leads to “altering design according to overall feedback,” really.)
- Shadow’s Kiss is playing up the angle of “mature content” with its latest round of updates. We should note that “mature” in this context means seeing people without their underwear, not subtle themes exploring complex and adult topics or even just figuring out how to apply for a home mortgage.
- Remember how Greed Monger seemed to be getting a revival? Yeah, not happening after all. That’s… probably for the best.
And lying below is our list of games in testing, always watching, always waiting. Is it time to stop waiting? Have some games on the list already stopped waiting and gone into launch all sneaky-like? Let us know down in the comments!
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Ashes of Creation: Alpha one
Bless Online: Early access open beta
Camelot Unchained: Closed beta (one)
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Citadel: Forged with Fire: Early access
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
Dauntless: Open beta
Dark and Light: Early access
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Dual Universe: Pre-alpha
ECO: Early access
Edengrad: Early access
Eleven: Closed alpha
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Fallout 76: Beta in October
Gloria Victis: Early access on Steam
Global Adventures: Closed beta
Legends of Aria: Closed beta
Life is Feudal: Early access
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Occupy White Walls: Closed alpha
OrbusVR: Early access beta
Osiris: New Dawn: Early access
Pantheon: Backer pre-alpha
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
PixARK: Early access
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Early access beta
Rend: Early access
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Cycle: Alpha
The Repopulation: Early access alpha
Valiance Online: Alpha
Wild Terra: Steam early access
Worlds Adrift: Early access