Hey, neat, Guardians of Ember is in open beta! Wait, didn’t that already happen? Well, yes, but that was before Insel Games managed to get itself tossed off of Steam rowdy-drunk-style for review manipulation. Now it’s back with a new open beta under Gameforge, a new localization, and hopefully much less review manipulation leading to being tugged off a storefront. Hooray!
Other beta news ensues:
- Speaking of games that left beta and then headed back into beta, Children of Ur and Eleven have joined forces to create the ultimate Glitch revival of all time. Of all time. And yes, “speaking of games that left beta and then headed back into beta” is not a sentence I had ever expected to type.
- Speaking of sentences I had not ever expected to type, Ankama has a new game on the way dubbed Waven, and it’s heading into testing in French. Good news for those of you who speak French or those of you who just like seeing new options in the field.
- Speaking of new options, Star Citizen has finally added playable women to the game. Well, to the test server for the test server’s test server. Better late than never!
- Speaking of things being late, Survived By is… well, not surviving. It’s being shut down in April with full refunds offered to all players who spent money. Which is classy; you won’t be able to use anything you bought in the game, after all.
- And speaking of things you won’t be able to use that you bought, Project Gorgon’s new store offerings are… full of exactly that. Oh, that’s not a good color on anyone.
Speaking of colors? Blue. That’s the color of betas because I just said that. We’ve got a whole list of games in beta and other test phases just below; chime in down in the comments if something switched test stages without us noticing!
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Ashes of Creation: Alpha one phase one
Camelot Unchained: Closed beta one
Children of Ur: Open alpha, further development merged with Eleven
Chronicles of Elyria: Pre-alpha
Citadel: Forged with Fire: Early access
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
Dauntless: Open beta
Dark and Light: Early access
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Dual Universe: Alpha
ECO: Early access
Edengrad: Early access
Eleven: Closed alpha
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Kurtzpel: Closed beta
Gloria Victis: Early access on Steam
Global Adventures: Closed beta
Guardians of Ember: Open beta
Legends of Aria: Early access
Life is Feudal: Early access
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
New World: Closed alpha
Occupy White Walls: Early access
OrbusVR: Early access beta
Osiris: New Dawn: Early access
Outlaws of the Old West: Early access
Pantheon: Backer pre-alpha
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
PixARK: Early access
Project Genom: Closed alpha, servers offline for restructuring with SpatialOS
Project Gorgon: Early access beta
Prosperous Universe: Early access
Rend: Early access
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Ship of Heroes: Pre-alpha
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Starmourn: Open beta
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Cycle: Alpha
The Repopulation: Early access alpha
Torchlight Frontiers: Closed alpha, no NDA
Valiance Online: Alpha
Worlds Adrift: Early access