Betawatch: Radical Heights springs out to predictable lows (April 13, 2018)
Good news, Boss Key fans! After the studio pretty blatantly gave up on LawBreakers, it turned around and quickly launched its next project, a battle royale title dubbed Radical Heights. It sprang to life on Tuesday, and then it… sort of limped right after that. The numbers do look at least slightly better after the rest of the week, so hooray? Maybe?
Looking back, I started that paragraph with “good news.” I’m not sure why I did that.
Other beta news? Hey, sure.
- You should definitely catch up on our PAX East coverage if you haven’t; we got hands-on time with several games in early testing like Pantheon and Ashes of Creation, and we had more interviews with studios behind Rend and Ship of Heroes.
- Dauntless is taking the charge to open beta on May 24th, letting everyone get a peek at what it’s like to hunt monsters in a world. But, like… with less corporate branding. Ahem.
- Who made Worlds Adrift what it is? The players, that’s who. When is the title moving into early access? Next month, that’s when.
- Bless Online chose to change its combat from top to bottom, which is a pretty big shift as the game moves toward a wider release.
- And last but not least, Lost Ark is heading into its final beta in its native South Korea. We can only hope that we get to see a release of this game before the players find the ark they’re looking for. (That’s the premise, right?)
Other beta titles? Oh, listed below, as we do. If you notice something jumped test phases without our noticing, do let us know down in the comments. We really appreciate it.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Ashes of Creation: Backer alpha zero
Bless Online: Early access starts in May
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha, beta on July 4th
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Citadel: Forged with Fire: Early access
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
Dauntless: Closed beta, open beta on May 24th
Dark and Light: Early access
DayZ: Early access
Defiance 2050: Almost beta
Divergence Online: Alpha
Dual Universe: Pre-alpha
ECO: Early access
Edengrad: Early access
Eleven: Closed alpha
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Gloria Victis: Early access on Steam
Global Adventures: Closed beta
Just Survive: Paid early access
Legends of Aria: Closed beta
Life is Feudal: Early access
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Occupy White Walls: Closed alpha
OrbusVR: Early access
Osiris: New Dawn: Early access
Pantheon: Backer pre-alpha
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
PixARK: Early access
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Early access beta
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Culling: Early access testing
The Exiled: Early access; formerly Das Tal
The Repopulation: Early access alpha
TUG: Early access alpha, possibly abandoned
Valiance Online: Alpha
Wild Terra: Steam early access
Wild West Online: Early access alpha
Worlds Adrift: Closed beta, early access on May 17th