The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This week in our roundup, we’ll touch base with Mark Hamill’s “other” science fiction tour of duty, discover Saga of Lucimia’s pillars of gameplay, celebrate Memorial Day in Dark Age of Camelot, and more!
New games and testing
- Squadron 42: Star Wars’ Mark Hamill talks about how freeing it is to be animated in games like Squadron 42. “He’s just a badass guy,” he said of his character. “That’s one of the reasons I love animation so much; you’re able to play characters who you’d never be able to achieve if you were seen.”
- Atlantica Heroes: This mobile spin-off of Atlantica Online looks to be more action-based than its predecessor. Closed beta testing begins this week in Korea.
- Sacrament: In a press release, the dev team shared that its death penalty will be quite involved. Dead players will arrive at the Caretaker and complete a task for him, or else wait for a deity or friendly player to resurrect their corpses.
- MU Origin: You can now pre-register for this upcoming mobile game and earn rewards through June 7th.
- Fractured Space: This team-based space game handled a sizable update this past week and announced that it would be going free-to-play to prepare for its launch in late 2016. [Source: press release]
- Saga of Lucimia: “Iteration” may not be a sexy word, but it is a necessary one for MMO development. The team explained how much the game changes through its iterations in a new dev diary.
- Gloria Victis: Gloria Victis’ latest patch has a new main menu and more skill-based combat thanks to a reworked hits detection system.
- Wild Terra: New territories expanded the horizons of this sandbox last week.
- Ragnarok Online: This MMO’s Taiwan server is scheduled to get a new race, the Doram, in December of this year. Will it be coming westward?
- Grim Dawn: The devs gave a brief preview of some of the features coming with its Hidden Path update as well as teased a “survival mode” in the making.
- Elsword: Time to hit the levels, as the cap has been increased to 85 in a recent update! There’s also a new area (Elysion) and town (Atlas) to explore. [Source: press release]
- Skyforge: The sci-fantasy game posted a dev blog on how it’s streaminglining the equipment refinement system as part of the Cybernetic Alliance update.
- Dark Age of Camelot: From May 16th through the 31st, traveling merchants and zone-wide bonuses are back as part of the game’s Memorial Day celebration.
- Dungeon Fighter Online: The team is giving all players a free unbreakable reinforcement weapon, but you have to claim it by June 14th. Also, through May 31st, for every level you earn, you get a level free. [Thanks Colton!]
- Allods Online: The New Order feedback contest has wrapped up and the results have been posted.
Odds and ends
- Diablo III: Strap in for some edge-of-your-seat item evolution comparison between the newer and older versions of the game.
- Warcraft: How is this summer’s movie pushing film technology to the limit? It must be Gnomish ingenuity!
- Elder Scrolls Online: The dev team is just so dang eager for you to meet all of the game’s NPCs that it keeps rolling out these lore pieces. Today’s? Mr. Primate Artorius.
- Dekaron: This long-running MMO is switching service providers from Nexon EU to Vertigo Games.
Dungeon Fighter Online has a new trailer out for the Female Slayer second awakening which will probably make you go blind from its sheer splendor.
The Paladins team fielded several more questions from the community in this week’s video:
What is Saga of Lucimia’s first pillar of gameplay? In this dev video, the team discusses how vital community is to the creation of the game.
Pantheon’s community manager sat down for a lengthy video podcast to talk about himself, the studio, and the game.
Finally, new F2P third-person shooter Energy Heroes burst onto the scene. Its Early Access begins June 1st, 2016.