Ah, Crucible, welcome back to the warm embrace of being in beta. Yes, after launching with something like a bellyflop, the game is now back in its beta status with the faint promise that after some more testing, everything will be fine. History does not entirely support this viewpoint, but hey, let’s hope it actually works out here.
Other beta news approaches, like it does every week:
- The upcoming survival sandbox Craftopia is heading into alpha testing this month! Exciting news if you want to live in a place where you make everything yourself.
- The Cycle has an upcoming public playtest, and it’s polling fans about… what to name it. Not what should be in it or anything, just the name.
- Magic: Legends has revealed its overall plans for a business model. Surprising no one, it includes lockboxes, except they’re called booster packs here. (Psst, actual booster packs for the card game were the original lockbox. Pass it on.)
- The latest plan for Camelot Unchained for the next 90 days is less “Weekend at Bernie’s” and more “Weekend at Camelot’s.” Wait, that should be “Weekend at Arthur’s,” except… look, it’s weekend servers. Work with me.
- Last but not least, let’s allow Torchlight III to explain early access issues with rubber duckies. No, really.
Well, they may take our betas, but they can never take… wait, no, they can take alphas too. Huh. Anyhow, we’ve got our list of betas down below. Let us know if something should be listed elsewhere or we missed something! It’s appreciated.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Ashes of Creation: Alpha one testing in May; Apocalypse early access has ended
Book of Travels: Closed beta
Camelot Unchained: Closed beta one
Children of Ur: Open alpha, further development merged with Eleven
Crowfall: Backer alpha
Crucible: Closed beta
Cube World: Closed beta since September 23rd
Dauntless: Open beta
Dark and Light: Early access
Dual Universe: Alpha
ECO: Early access
Eleven: Closed alpha
Elyon: Korean beta (fka Ascent Infinite Realm)
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Kurtzpel: Closed beta
Gloria Victis: Early access on Steam
Guardians of Ember: Open beta
Hearthstone Battleground Mode: Open beta
Inferna: Early access
Life is Feudal: Early access
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Magic: Legends: Beta testing in 2020
Mortal Online 2: Closed alpha
New World: Beta in July, launch in August 2020
Occupy White Walls: Early access
Osiris: New Dawn: Open beta
Outlaws of the Old West: Early access
Pantheon: Backer pre-alpha
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Population Zero: Early access
Project Genom: Closed alpha, servers offline for restructuring with SpatialOS
Project Gorgon: Early access beta
Prosperous Universe: Early access
Saga of Lucimia: Closed alpha
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Ship of Heroes: Alpha
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Temtem: Early access
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Cycle: Alpha, weekly test cycle
The Repopulation: Early access alpha
Torchlight III: Early access
Valiance Online: Alpha