True confession time: The original version of this post was just the lyrics to Lindsey Buckingham’s “Holiday Road” with a poor phonetic transcription of the song’s guitar riffs. But apparently this post should actually talk about BlizzCon 2017, just because that’s what we’re actually here for. And it’s true! We are totally here for our annual liveblog of the convention’s opening ceremonies and all the associated revelations.
For those of you who haven’t been here before, here’s how this works. Eliot (the author of this post) will be in the comments furiously liveblogging out what’s happening. Bree (the long-suffering editor of the site) will be adding in a readable version of that drabble just below the cut, if you’ve missed the start and want to get caught back up. There will be laughter and joy in the comments regardless of what happens on the screen.
It’s also one of our favorite things to do all year, no lie. So let’s get into it! The opening ceremonies are being streamed live on Twitch for the public even if you didn’t buy the virtual ticket, so you can watch that below with us!
The highlights so far:
- E-sports e-sports e-sports.
- StarCraft II is going free-to-play on November 14th with free expansions and ranked ladders.
- Morhaime lectures attendees, obliquely, on being good people toward each other. Don’t be toxic, ty.
- Heroes of the Storm: There’s a new cinematic showing off Alexstraza and Hanzo. Alexstraza is a versatile ranged support who can turn into a dragon. Hanzo is a ranged assassin/scout. The video also teases a new camera, laning improvements, reworked stealth mechanics are being reworked, and altered battleground mechanics.
- Hearthstone: Best stage everrrrrr. Kobolds and Catacombs expansion announced. Adorable and hilarious. Brode is leading the whole audience on a de facto Choose-Your-Own-Adventure in real time. Legendary weapon cards are happening for the first time. There’s also a new single-player mode called the Dungeon Run, “essentially a Hearthstone roguelike.” That part is also free.
- Overwatch: New BlizzardWorld map coming to the PTS soon, launching early next year.
- And new support character Moira too. She and BlizzardWorld are all playable right now at the con. And! a Reinhardt short.
- Blizzard announced the World of Warcraft: Classic — basically, vanilla servers, an attempt to recreate the launch experience (but not the launch).
- Blizzard announced World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth, the new expansion, with a level bump to 120, new continents, new warfronts, new Jaina model, allied races, Kul Tiras. It’s playable at BlizzCon. And there’s a new cinematic too!
- All done! See you in the next liveblog!