On a couple of past occasions, I’ve amused myself by posting countdown lists of my favorite MMORPG theme songs in this column. I was coming back around to the notion of doing that again when I decided that I should flip things over and have the readers create the countdown instead of me. After all, everyone seems to have an opinion as to which are the best MMO themes out there any time we’ve ever posted a Daily Grind about it, so why not hash it out?
So here’s the plan: Over the next two weeks, I will be accepting your votes for favorite MMORPG themes. I’ll then compile them and create a countdown list based on the most popular ones mentioned, which will be posted in upcoming Jukebox Heroes. If you ever thought that a particular theme didn’t get enough credit or simply want to share the theme tracks that get you revved up or make you nostalgic, here’s your chance!
Let’s go over some ground rules after the jump and then get to voting!
What you need to do
- Put together a list up to 10 (although fewer is fine) of your favorite MMO main theme tracks.
- Post them in the comments of this article or email them to email@example.com with the subject line “MMO THEME VOTING.”
- Wait anxiously for the next Jukebox Heroes to come out!
Rules for your votes (important!)
- It needs to be a main (title, login) theme song to a full-blooded MMORPG (no survival sandboxes, MOBAs, multiplayer titles, and other fringe online games). Think of your “classic” MMOs.
- This is not a popularity contest for the games themselves; this is a popularity contest for the music first and foremost! In other words, don’t vote for games just because you like the games.
- You can only vote for a title one time, even if it has different theme songs (i.e., only one EVE Online music theme vote per person).
- We’re on the honor system here; don’t try to create multiple accounts or send in multiple voting tallies to game the vote.
- If there are multiple theme songs to an MMO, please specify which theme gets your vote (feel free to add a link to a specific YouTube track). If you don’t, then I will assume it’s the original theme by default. This includes MMOs that have remastered their themes.
- You can vote for less than 10 tracks but no more than 10. Each one of your votes is counted and weighed the same as the others.
- Votes for themes to upcoming MMOs (alpha, beta, or early access) are fine as long as the theme has been made public on the website, SoundCloud, or YouTube.
- Likewise, themes for MMOs that have been shut down or were cancelled prior to launch are also acceptable.
Let’s see what happens!
I’m going to be just as curious as the rest of you to see what comes of this vote because while I certainly have my favorite MMO theme tracks, I’m sure that it’s not an identical list to everyone else’s.