The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This week we have stories and videos from Pokemon Go, DCUO, Portal Knights, Escape from Tarkov, Final Fantasy XI, LOTRO, World of Tanks, Star Trek Online, Armored Warfare, Tree of Savior, Path of Exile, and Worlds Adrift, all waiting for you after the break!
New Games and Testing
- Escape from Tarkov: The studio is partnering up with a military flashlight maker to, we dunno, put flashlights in the game? Seems like a weird partnership.
- Portal Knights: A free Xbox One and PlayStation 4 trial is coming on April 20th in advance of the game’s launch on May 23rd.
- Final Fantasy XI: A new login campaign is revving up for April 10th through May 2nd. Log in, get points, get prizes. Get it?
Odds and Ends
- Xbox Scorpio: Everyone is abuzz about the revealed specs of Xbox’s newest console… and it is most certainly a beast. The console will be backwards compatible with the Xbox One, meaning that you’ll be able to play all of those MMOs on the new one as well. Rumor is that it should be coming to store shelves around Christmas.
- Lord of the Rings Online: The sixth issue of the LOTRO Beacon is out with lots of community links and news.
- Panasonic: Get ready to game in mid-air, thanks to a new partnership between Panasonic and M-Biz to provide customizable games on planes.
- Path of Exile: Learn more about how the team puts together those epic trailers in this dev diary!
- Tree of Savior: Apparently some Chinese knock-off of ToS has an English version called Lost Tales, and… why would you play it when you could just download Tree of Savior for free anyway? Mind boggles.
- Armored Warfare: There’s a new dev Q&A up with about a dozen questions from the community, including one on the fight against in-game cheating.
- Star Trek Online: What does this lore piece have to do with the upcoming content patch? Maybe a lot! Maybe nothing at all!
- World of Tanks: Wargaming is becoming the first gaming company to sponsor and advertise a vehicle for the upcoming Le Mans race. [Source: press release]
- E-sports: Different brands are taking “baby steps” to encourage women to join their teams.
- DC Universe Online: You can start earning team up time capsules in the game to get an assortment of desirable rewards.
- Pokemon Go: Niantic is promising “all new cooperative social gameplay experiences” for this spring. Could it be raids?
Exploring the floating islands of Worlds Adrift promises to be a haunting and memorable experience, if this video is any indication: